Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Not only old people are HANDICAPPED!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm 22 years old, 23 next month.  I was born with Spinabifida Diastematomyelia, which means that my spine was split in two and with club foot, which is a rotation of the foot.  Luckily everything was discovered when I was younger and I was able to get the best medical attention possible at UCSF Children's Hospital.  I had one spinal surgery and I've had four foot surgeries, the last one two years ago.  I feel very lucky every day of my life that I was able to get help and that everyone did the best they could for me.  You can't even tell I have anything wrong with me, unless I show you.  However, no one but me knows the pain that I experience almost on a daily basis.  Both my back and my foot are very sensitive and it sucks! 

To my next point!  I do have a handicap card and am able to use handicap parking spaces.  I try not to use them unless I'm in really bad pain or if my foot is sprained, which happens a lot.  Anyway, people really seem to hate me because I don't look handicapped!  I'm tired of feeling like I have to prove my disability to everyone!  The other day this older lady literally starting yelling at me telling me I don't look handicapped!  And trust me it was not a compliment!  Then today at school the parking services officer proceeded to tell me how she is tired of young ladies using their grandparents cars to take advantage of the parking and she demanded to see my paperwork.  So I handed it to her and she just looked me up and down expecting me to show her my scars or something...WTF lady I know you're doing your job, but don't be so freaking rude!  These are only two examples of the many that I have, not to mention the dirty looks that I always get.

TRUST ME I WOULD MUCH RATHER NOT HAVE A DISABILITY THAN THIS FREAKING HANDICAPP CARD!!!

banging head into wall

**Thanks everyone for your support and for understanding me!  :)

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (31-32):
diaperstodating
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I am 33 and I also have an "invisible" disability. I have arthritis and I have a handicap placard, I only use it when I am in pain.

slide_of_fun
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I'm sorry. It is a sad stereotype. I know people who have them for their children that are still in elementary school 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)