Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Not only old people are HANDICAPPED!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm 22 years old, 23 next month.  I was born with Spinabifida Diastematomyelia, which means that my spine was split in two and with club foot, which is a rotation of the foot.  Luckily everything was discovered when I was younger and I was able to get the best medical attention possible at UCSF Children's Hospital.  I had one spinal surgery and I've had four foot surgeries, the last one two years ago.  I feel very lucky every day of my life that I was able to get help and that everyone did the best they could for me.  You can't even tell I have anything wrong with me, unless I show you.  However, no one but me knows the pain that I experience almost on a daily basis.  Both my back and my foot are very sensitive and it sucks! 

To my next point!  I do have a handicap card and am able to use handicap parking spaces.  I try not to use them unless I'm in really bad pain or if my foot is sprained, which happens a lot.  Anyway, people really seem to hate me because I don't look handicapped!  I'm tired of feeling like I have to prove my disability to everyone!  The other day this older lady literally starting yelling at me telling me I don't look handicapped!  And trust me it was not a compliment!  Then today at school the parking services officer proceeded to tell me how she is tired of young ladies using their grandparents cars to take advantage of the parking and she demanded to see my paperwork.  So I handed it to her and she just looked me up and down expecting me to show her my scars or something...WTF lady I know you're doing your job, but don't be so freaking rude!  These are only two examples of the many that I have, not to mention the dirty looks that I always get.

TRUST ME I WOULD MUCH RATHER NOT HAVE A DISABILITY THAN THIS FREAKING HANDICAPP CARD!!!

banging head into wall

**Thanks everyone for your support and for understanding me!  :)

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Rocsi718
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I understand I have a mild form of cp and my disabilty is visable however, I don't usually take advantage things that are meant for ppl with disablities,

shorty13417
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree... some disabilities can't be seen. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Great post. Some disabilities are not visible and they come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Its okay sweetie, people are ignorant. Not all disabilities are visiable (or even physical). I have severe epilepsy and I got the handicap card. Do I use it often? Nope. But when I do I get a lot of backlash. I just look at them like "Umm hellooo!! Do you not see the service dog?" They don't just hand those out you know. I was once chased through a store by a woman because she thought I was faking being blind. Not all SDs are for blind people. Ignorance, ignorance everywhere.  

Speaking of. Have you thought of getting a mobility assistance dog or a service dog. They could help to pull you and they can help take the pressure off of your leg and back while walking. A girl I know has spinabifida and she has an SD who helps her get around. She said having the dog and being able to lean on him for support feels a lot better than just walking. Also he is much more help than a cane because a cane can not move you out of the way if you fall in the street.

witchybabymomma
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sorry you have to deal with such rude people :-(

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:19 AM

I definitely understand.  It can be extremely frustrating!  I am 27, and I also have spina bifida (L5/S1 myelomeningocele).  I mostly use a wheelchair or a cane, but I sometimes have a good enough day that I can walk unassisted.  I still have to use disabled parking placard on those days, though, because walking too much can cause extreme pain, a risk of collapse, or worse.  I've gotten plenty of dirty looks when I use a disabled parking space without an assistive device, but I've learned to ignore them.  It hurts, of course, but I know I need the space.

By the way, thanks for teaching me something.  I thought I knew about all the different variations of SB, but I did not know about diastematomyelia.  I looked it up, and it seems it is fairly similar to myelomeningocele, but internal instead of external.

Susie19
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Thanks and Sorry about your hip and knee that sounds really painful..  :( 

Quoting cherylam:

I hear you, as someone who has had hip/knee relacements/ revisions, the looks, the stares, the confrontations I've had are amazing.  I've had the cops called and my car blocked in until they got there.  I carry the cards for airport security with me, but the last cop said anyone could get those and challenged me.  I got so mad I offered to drop trou and show him the scars (not a pretty sight), and he finally relented.  It's bad out there for those who don't appear handicapped, really.  The only way you'd know I was handicapped is by the way I have to walk.  The RA  I have makes walking and holding onto things difficult, and when it flares... the pain of moving goes to a whole new level of pain.  Trying to explain you are really sick to someone who is convinced you're faking is like trying to teach a pig to dance... it's a waste of time and annoys the pig.

Susie19
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Thanks so much for your response.  I will most likely consider a service dog when I'm a little older and really need one, for now I have a beautiful cat that helps with the stress that comes along with a disability and she's great.  :)

Quoting AliKatCam:

Its okay sweetie, people are ignorant. Not all disabilities are visiable (or even physical). I have severe epilepsy and I got the handicap card. Do I use it often? Nope. But when I do I get a lot of backlash. I just look at them like "Umm hellooo!! Do you not see the service dog?" They don't just hand those out you know. I was once chased through a store by a woman because she thought I was faking being blind. Not all SDs are for blind people. Ignorance, ignorance everywhere.  

Speaking of. Have you thought of getting a mobility assistance dog or a service dog. They could help to pull you and they can help take the pressure off of your leg and back while walking. A girl I know has spinabifida and she has an SD who helps her get around. She said having the dog and being able to lean on him for support feels a lot better than just walking. Also he is much more help than a cane because a cane can not move you out of the way if you fall in the street.

Susie19
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thank you and you're welcome.  :)

Quoting taniamorse85:

I definitely understand.  It can be extremely frustrating!  I am 27, and I also have spina bifida (L5/S1 myelomeningocele).  I mostly use a wheelchair or a cane, but I sometimes have a good enough day that I can walk unassisted.  I still have to use disabled parking placard on those days, though, because walking too much can cause extreme pain, a risk of collapse, or worse.  I've gotten plenty of dirty looks when I use a disabled parking space without an assistive device, but I've learned to ignore them.  It hurts, of course, but I know I need the space.

By the way, thanks for teaching me something.  I thought I knew about all the different variations of SB, but I did not know about diastematomyelia.  I looked it up, and it seems it is fairly similar to myelomeningocele, but internal instead of external.

AliKatCam
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

You are welcome. 

Quoting Susie19:

Thanks so much for your response.  I will most likely consider a service dog when I'm a little older and really need one, for now I have a beautiful cat that helps with the stress that comes along with a disability and she's great.  :)

Quoting AliKatCam:

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yep.  I totally understand.  Both my husband and I have handicapped placards and neither of us "look" handicapped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN