Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

How to wean 3 and 5 year old from co-sleeping, have a new baby. - PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

I have an almost 5 (dd) year old, 3 (ds) year old and an almost 4 (dd) month old and I need to "train" hte older kids to sleep on their own (they share a king). At the moment I lay with them till they fall asleep then creep out of the bed and into the other room with the baby (my poor husband sleeps in "our" bed on his own). They both will at one point in the night wake and come crawl in bed with me, but its not safe for the baby, good for my sleep, etc. and I hate then having to get up with the baby and get in the other bed, sometimes back and forth several times in the night. I don't like the idea of them chasing me, like mommy's trying to get away from them, and I really need the sleep. Has anyone had experience with this?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
jb81supergirl
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Well since this post has been mostly filled with people who are just plain annoying as opposed to helpful and going on and on about how secure their children are (defending their decisions which I didn't care about in the first place), I think I will try bumping my post in a more appropriate, mature and able to focus on the point group.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Venae:

I always wondered how you ended cosleeping - I mean, after 3 orf 4 kids the bed has got to get too crowded for anyone to get good sleep.  And I really want an answer to this - do you go to bed at the same time as your kids?  Some kids are in bed at 8:00 - and if you don't go w/them, then what's the point if they are in the bed alone?  

Heck kids don't care 

bigmama423
by Liz on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I really have no idea. I'd say just try to get them into their own beds and keep putting in when they get out. I'm sure it will take a little while though. Maybe let them buy their own sheets, blanket, nightlight or some small bear or light up toy...something they can take with them to bed. Good luck! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jb81supergirl
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Thank you for actually having something positive, and relevant to share. :) I always say I will stay till you fall asleep then I leave, the issue is they get up in the night and into my bed that I am sharing with the bed.

Quoting bigmama423:

I really have no idea. I'd say just try to get them into their own beds and keep putting in when they get out. I'm sure it will take a little while though. Maybe let them buy their own sheets, blanket, nightlight or some small bear or light up toy...something they can take with them to bed. Good luck! :)

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Use a reward system. Both are old enough to sleep alone in their own beds and fully comprehend why. Also go get back in the bed with your husband and find a way to have the baby in the room but not in the bed with you. Give stickers for every night they stay in their rooms and at the end of the week let them choose a special ice cream or treat or smalll toy and praise them on being big kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I've never done co-sleeping. 3 out of 4 of my kids come into my bed sometimes too though through out the night. I haven't figured out a way to stop it so I just put them back in bed. I know it's different for you though, having the little one involved. Have you thought about a sidecar crib?

Quoting jb81supergirl:

Thank you for actually having something positive, and relevant to share. :) I always say I will stay till you fall asleep then I leave, the issue is they get up in the night and into my bed that I am sharing with the bed.

Quoting bigmama423:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:48 AM
We put a cot in our room for our toddler when his sister was born. I could be there if he needed me, nut he went to sleep there on his own & would not crawl in with us unless he was invited. He went to his own room a while later.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I haven't, no.  Good Luck, I am sure someone has great advice for you!

othermom
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

No idea, I have never co slept

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN