Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Are you a 'tech' family?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

hey everyone! So, not that i'm concerned or anything...but when is it too much?  Between my husband and 2 kids (6 and 4), we've got 2 iPads, 2 iPods, 2 Laptops and 2 iPhones.... we've also got an xBox, PS3 and a Ninendo Wii... during the week, we spend A LOT of time on these devices...my kids included...I try to get the kids to be as active as possible, and they are!  Great healthy shape and no obesity, thankfully... but is it too much???  Seems impossible to get away from it all... myself, i'm in front of a computer screen atleast 10hrs a day.... interested to hear other peoples points of view....

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone should take one electronic-free day each week. You'd be amazed at the personal interactions! I do think that's alot, but that's because of my lifestyle and the time that I raised my kids, who are now adult. They got cell phones when they went to college. We had one computer in the house when they were in high school, and it was kept in my bedroom. Now, I have a laptop, and a plain talk/text phone. Husband has a tablet and talk/text phone.

TinaP613
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM

we have 7 laptops for our family of 4. Xbox, kinects, ipods, etc...My children are 18 and 19. Both live at home but are in college. We have family game night on the weekend and family dinner at least twice a week( cell phones off) Technology is great but nothing beats human contact.

bigmama423
by Liz on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
We have 2 smart phone, and 2 pc's..that's all. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM
2 ipods, 1 laptop, 1 pc, 1 kindle fire, adding a nabi 2 christmas and 4 nintendo dsi between 5 people we try to take time for family
RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

We are not a tech family, so I don't know if I could help you. We have cell phones, (regular) , a computer, a wii, and one tablet. Most of this just in the last year or two, and my kids were mostly grown--teens-- before we got them. I think that helped them to learn to live without them--keep a healthy balance. They're not on them all the time; maybe a half hour to an hour a day. They do text a lot though, although no where near what their friends do in a month. 

I wouldn't worry unless you can begin to see them being unwise with their responsibilities or are behind socially, or can't function easily and adaptively in social situations.

othermom
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

We have a few game systems, an ipad that was given to us, a lap top and a desk top. The kids are allowed to play maybe an hour of games a day if they do all their chores and can watch tv if they do their chores. I am on and off the computer during the day in between cleaning and stuff. I do a lot of diffrent things on here. My husband is on his lap top some

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My dh soo is!

A-WAHL
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Besides our cell phone's we have...

PC, 3 Ipods, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Nook, a Tablet, a Nintendo ds and 2 PS 3's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Whew.  That's a lot of electronics!  All we have is my laptop, an Xbox 360, a Wii, my oldest daughter's iPod nano 2nd generation, my cellphone, my husband's cellphone and our oldest daughter's cellphone.

I thought that was alot, lol.

arthistmom
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM
For a family of four (our boys are 7 and 4), we think we have an adequate number of electronic gadgets: two cellphones (though my husband's is from his work and so is his laptop), one laptop (mine), an iPod, and a Wii (which doesn't see much use). And, one TV. My husband and I would like an e-reader someday but at the moment, we don't see the need for it just yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)