Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

**Question of the Day--12/10**

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 3 Replies

Do You Think Fairy Tales Influence Our Choice Of A Partner?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Indirectly , yes. . they're usually the first impressions of male-female relationships women encounter when you think about it! The stories are first read at probably one of the impressionable times of a girl's life.

Just for starters, Look at closely some stories earliest themes in--(but don't result in the happy endings that are found in) fairy tales: Beauty and the beast for example,; the idea that a woman's love can 'change' the beastly side of a man-or anything bad about a chosen male.  The numbers of women marrying and thinking they can change an aggressive man or he'll soften when he has kids, is a permanent theme in our culture. And more often than not results in disaster for the woman and her children.

And don't even get me started on the princess saturation our daughters are currently swimming through--it's really taken on ridiculous heights, what with every bride thinking their wedding is all about being a princess for a day. With less thinking about WHO they're marrying, and far more time spent on thinking about the day itself , More than likely that's exactly how long being a princess will last--a day. 

little.worthen
by Tessie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM
OMH....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Kinda. I know I found my prince charming :-)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)