Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Contrary to popular belief, Co-sleeping can be safe.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
  • 70 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do/did you co-sleep?

Options:

Yes I did. My baby shared a bed with me.

Yes, my baby slept in the same room with me.

No. My baby slept in another room.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

You know I never knew that having your child sleep in the same room as you was also considered co-sleeping and is beneficial too. Let's hear it for compromise! lol

How to Co Sleep Safely With Your Baby

20 authors | 53 revisions | Last updated: December 6, 2012

Co Sleep Safely With Your Baby

Whilst some may believe co-sleeping to be unsafe, if it's done safely there are many benefits. Co-sleeping promotes confidence and self esteem. Children who do not co-sleep are harder to control, less able to deal with stress and are more likely to be dependent upon their parents. Indeed the majority of babies around the world co-sleep with their parents; it is only a western phenomenon in which children sleep on their own in their own rooms. Major medical organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Association, agree that babies are safest when they sleep in the same room as their mothers until they are six months old.

While the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission strongly recommend co-sleeping on separate surfaces, rather than in the same bed, other experts, in particular Professor James McKenna, director of the University of Notre Dame Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory, recommend safe bed-sharing as in ideal way to co-sleep.

Before baby arrives, make sure your bed and bedroom is safe by following these steps. Think of your bed as a large crib, and follow basic crib safety guidelines.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Breastfeed. Mothers who nurse their children are intensely aware of their babies as they share sleep. Breastfed infants also instinctively align themselves with mother's breasts while sleeping, keeping themselves well away from mother's pillow.

paganbaby

Use as firm a sleeping surface as possible. It's not safe to co-sleep on a water-bed, feather-bed or other overly-soft sleeping surface.

paganbaby

Think big. A king size bed is best, so invest the money you would have spent on a crib to upgrade to a firm, king size bed. However, if you co-sleep safely, any bed size will be fine.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Make sure your sheets are tight and lay flat on your bed. If your sheets are very loose, you can purchase elastic clip-on "sheet keepers" in the bedding department of most stores.

paganbaby

Remove any extra pillows, blankets, decorative throws, pillows and bolsters, and stuffed animals. Keep only what you absolutely need.

paganbaby
1 mom liked this

Stay close. The baby is safest between the mother and a bed rail or the wall. (Mothers usually know where the baby is even in their sleep, while partners and older children don't show the same keen awareness.)

paganbaby

Mind the gap. The bed should be flush against a guard-rail or the wall. Insert pillows or tightly-rolled blanket if there is a gap. Remember that a guard-rail that is designed to keep a toddler or preschooler from rolling out of bed may not be safe for an infant. (An infant is much smaller, so the guard-rail may pose an entrapment risk.)

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Place the baby to sleep on their back. No matter where the baby sleeps, he should sleep lying on his back.

paganbaby

Lower your bed. When the baby is old enough to get out of the bed, it's safest to remove your bed frame and place your box spring and mattress on the floor, in case of falls. Teach your baby how to wiggle out of bed feet first, the same as they would go down stairs.

paganbaby

Soften the blow. If your room has hard floors, place soft throw-rugs beside the bed and at the end of the bed, to cushion accidental falls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN