Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Help with a 15 year old stealing

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 6 Replies

This is not about my child as I am not old enough to have a 15 year old. My younger brother has been stealing money from every family member. I am married but come over a lot and I noticed my wallet had been moved. It was in my purse but upside down, which I would never have done. I looked inside and all my singles were gone and one five. I confronted my brother but he denyed it but eventually after much proding from my mom and sister gave me back two dollars, but said it was just because we wouldn't leave him alone. I know I had more than two singles. He also takes money from my 18 year old sister who still lives there and takes from my mom. He takes all the change he can find. We also run a family business and I noticed he took one dollar for a soda from our profits. I know it is all petty theft but it is still worrysome. We always confront him and he denys it each time, even if we know he did it. Even if it is painfully obvious. I don't know how to help my mom. She doesn't have much money and can't afford him taking from her. If he takes five dollars, that's gas money, or food money. My dad died when my brother was around 5 so he didn't learn as much as he could have from my dad. My dad would never have stood for this and if he was still around I know my brother would be different. Any advice?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I really don't know, but I've heard that if you take a child to the juvenile center and have a tour, that helps sometimes!  I honestly don't know, but it may be worth a shot?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Welcome!

Maybe he needs to a scare to make him stop?  If you know a police officer or someone working in a detention center, it might help for them to talk to him.

maine2896
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

When my sons were little they stole from me, there father told them to do it, we were divorced. I had a family member on the police force, I called him and he came by and gave them a good talking to, they never did it again.  Poor things cried, I felt bad, but it worked.

littlemoments99
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Thanks. I will give my mom your suggestions. We have always had a problem with him stealing. A police officer talked to him about stealing when he was 4. He stopped then for a while. 

It only started after he joined football this year at the high school. I think he just wants to have money like all of his friends. We live in a pretty rich area. There are some that are not as well off but most are. I think he just wants to be able to be like them or something. It could have something to do with it. 

fe3
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM

fake it.call police have them take him, and see if he wanna be treated like a thief. somitimes getting introuble for it will help. dont leave vaulables around him then he'll kno u dont trust him

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I have been told that sometimes when kids steal, that they steal to replace something.  IDK though.  My dd was 5 when she was stealing and I nipped it. GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN