Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Brain Tumor (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

My nephew who is 10 years old lost his hearing in his left year out of the middle of no where. Turns out they just found out its a tumor. They said they wont do surgery on it. Im wondering why. All the websites say that surgery is the protocol for brain tumors. I was just wondering if anyone in here knows what the procedures are for diagnosiing a brain tumor?

pregnancy calendar
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I'm not sure but I'm bumping to see if anyone else might know.

rkkeller13
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:48 AM
It could be on a nerve. My mother had an illness that caused multiple tumors to grow on nerves throughout the body. It's called Neurofibromatosis. And she had many tumors on her brain and a few were inoperable. And I'm leaning toward that its more likely on a nerve. An acoustic nerve or the vestibular nerve. Both of which are pretty risky to operate on. My mom had tumors on both. One Dr was able to successfully remove a tumor on her vestibular nerve but I came with a cost. She had full paralysis on one side of her face after the surgery. The brain is such a complex organ that messing with is not good. A lot of irreparable damage can occur. Have they looked into Gamma Knife radiation to shrink the tumor? A few of my mother's inoperable tumors were shrunk using gamma.

Edit. Most of the time diagnosing a tumor will involve an MRI. They are able to look at the mass slice by slice with the scan. Tumors have a distinct formation to them vs let's say a lump of fatty tissue. And if they are able too, a biopsy could be performed to verify if its cancerous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

It depends no the tumor - it may be in a place where the surgery is more dangerous than the tumor.

I wish him the best...

sjump25
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I have no idea.  Have his parents not gotten that information from the drs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN