Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Deodorant Suggestions for a Child Needed

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 22 Replies

Help! I have an eight year old little girl. She has a severe sweating problem. It only happens under the arms, but it's bad. She is thin but her body chemistry is strong. She takes taekwon do after school and when I pick her up I detect an odor. We've tried Secret and Degree. Any other deodorants we should try? I've also tried baby powder over the deodorant.

I'm hesistant to try the clinical strength ones b/c of the chemicals.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justinnaimee
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM
I would make my own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Make your own. DO NOT allow your children to use commercial deodorants or anti-perspirants. You should stop as well.

linzrenae
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I was also thin and sweated alot when I was around the same age. I have always used deodorant and have never had any health problems at all, so i would't worry about that, but since you are Arm and Hammer ultra max works good and has Baking soda as a main ingredient so it doesn't have as many chemicals.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Dove?
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha. Okay, the reason not to use deodorants IS because of the chemicals in them, as well as the natural metals in them. You do know there is a direct link between deodorant/anti-perspirants and breast cancer.....both in men and women. If you make it yourself, it will look the same, and can smell how you want it to smell. If you have an empty container, you can just use that container. Not to try to fool the child, by all means, make her aware of why she/you shouldn't be using it.

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I don't know if Burt's Bee's had deodorant but you might check. My son has an interesting smell after I use shampoo on him. i've tried several kind and Berts Bees is the only one that doesn't make him smell worse after I wash his hair. I believe Berts bees is a natural product.

squeekers
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM

ask a doctor if she might have hyperhydrosis. there may be a medical way to treat it.

bigmama423
by Liz on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Not too sure..I would just keep trying different ones till you find one that works for her. Or talk to a doctor to get some advice..good luck!
kattu
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Teen spirit? My kid sister uses that at 11.
queen_k0302
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I have always as long as i can remember had severe under arm sweat. I use dergree clinical strength. The home made kind did nothing. In 7th grade my doctor had me start anti perspirante instead of deodorant, i have never looked at another deodorant again. Check with her doctor to see when to start. My armpits would run even during the winter time. It was embarrassing. Hope you find something that works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)