Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Hcg level worries

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 15 Replies
Please help. I am only 4 weeks PREGO but my dr said my blood work said my hcg level was only 11... Went back 2 days later and it only went up to 13... I am randomly spotting. What are the chances this is a viable pregnancy? I have kids and never had this problem. Please help shed some light on this for me... Home pregnancy tests are showing positive results
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GUTTADABOSSLADI
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Hey 

I'm not sure about this situation but maybe it's to early. 

Momstydawn
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope so.... I will keep ya posted. Thanks for answering
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't sound good, but miracles happen.  Good luck!

Aivlys_
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as your levels keep going up it is a viable pregnancy.. best wishes!
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure, but to be honest it doesn't sound very good at all. But anything is possible. Good luck, hugs and prayers.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

And I say hold on to hope as long as you can and sometimes hope gives you a surprise.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I found this at Livestrong site, maybe it will help:

Quote:

Gradual Rise

Sometimes hCG levels are considered "slow to rise." In these conditions, the levels are not doubling, but are still increasing at a slower rate. The American Pregnancy Association states that hCG doubles every two to three days in 85 percent of pregnancies. Some women have slow to rise hCG levels that, although they are not doubling, still result in a healthy pregnancy. The numbers are approximations that indicate the direction of growth.

Warning

A low hCG level that does not go up can indicate problems with the pregnancy. It may be that your calculation of conception is incorrect or it is a sign of something more significant. Miscarriage occurs when a pregnancy ends on its own, and the fetus and placenta have stopped growing. HCG hormone levels may drop during this time. Low levels of hCG may also indicate an ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the uterus. Both a miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy cause declining hCG, so consult with your doctor about your particular levels.

Testing

A urine test detects the presence of hCG and is best done when taken as the first sample of the day. You may also wait four hours between urination, as this will leave time to build up levels for testing. A blood test includes a blood sample for analysis. Qualitative hCG measures to detect the presence of hCG in the blood, while quantitative hCG measures how much is present.

Considerations

One hCG test is insufficient to determine if levels are going up, and a doctor needs to check several times to look for a pattern. If you are unsure of your date of conception, an ultrasound provides a much more accurate diagnosis. Many women worry about hCG levels for the assurance that they are maintaining pregnancy, but talk with your doctor about your own levels and if they are going up at a normal pace.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/269850-what-happens-if-my-hcg-levels-do-not-go-up/#ixzz2GwnLBnX3

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I know nothing about it. I hope it continues to rise though.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I am a bit lost if you went to the Dr's then why are you taking home test. I just read up on this and there is no normal number and it can very between people. I wouldn't worry until the dr seems alert.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Did your doctor tell you you are pregnant?  Is your doctor worried?  I don't have any experience in this, but I am thinking that if your levels keep rising then you should be okay.

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN