Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4 month old had rsv and drs won't do anything

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies
My grandson has had a cold for about 2 weeks. Hes been to the dr.numerous times and all they say is suck out his nose and give him saline drops. 4 days ago he got much worse. We took him to the dr again and asked them to test him for rsv. They didn't and sent us on our way with the same instructions. 6 hours later he was worse and gasping for breath. We took him to the hospital and lo and behold he had rsv. The only problem is they gave us the same instructions saying he sounded worse then he is. We are doing everything, vaporizer, saline drops, sucking his nose, but nothing is helping. He can't sleep, eat and his entire chest sucks in when he breaths. Cann anyone help!
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I'd take him back to the ER with the chest retracting with his breathing.  Sounds like he needs breathing treatments.  I would ask them to check his pulse oxygen level.  Tell them when you go in he is having breathing problems or call an ambulance and tell them he is having breath ing problems.  With retractions that bad, he needs reevaluation. Hugs and prayers

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I agree with this! Hope he feels better soon! Poor baby. :-(

Quoting Thelmama:

I'd take him back to the ER with the chest retracting with his breathing.  Sounds like he needs breathing treatments.  I would ask them to check his pulse oxygen level.  Tell them when you go in he is having breathing problems or call an ambulance and tell them he is having breath ing problems.  With retractions that bad, he needs reevaluation. Hugs and prayers

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I hope he gets better soon!!!!!!!!!!!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
poor little guy. I would take him back in Hugs to you. I hope he feels better
saltlifemama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

first of all I would trust your instincts and if you know he needs to go back then take him back. Sounds like he needs some steroids and breathing treatments. My son had rsv when he was five months old and it was horrible.

sjump25
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.. good advice.  When my son had RSV they sent us home with a breathing treatment machine.

Quoting Thelmama:

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I'd go back again. Good luck, hope he gets better fast!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KTU
by Kim on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My daughter had RSV when she was 4 months old. She got pretty bad. When she got to the point of gasping when breathing, we took her in to the ER. She ended up being admitted and we stayed for 5 days. They really did nothing for her there other than saline and suction (no breathing treatments) and Tylenol for fever/pain management. They wanted her there just to monitor her. It was so scary!

I'm sorry. It sucks not being able to do anything to make your baby feel better. Hugs!

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'd say that this is progressing and may now be pneumonia or an opportunistic secondary bacterial infection.  After a week or two you have to suspect it is no longer viral.  It's hard to treat such a young infant but surely your pediatrician realizes the child could have something else by now.  If he has trouble breathign call the doctor one more time thenif you have no luck (and tell them he can't breath) take him to the hospital.  Good luck.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Take him back in.  I hope he is feeling better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)