Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Miserable Mother in law.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 27 Replies

I'm having a little problem with my MIL. My husband is kind of man who really enjoys doing things for me and his family. A few days ago, he was so excited about his plans to purchase a second hand SUV for me. Granted he will drive it also but the purchase is going to mainly be for me. Now I love the fact that he is doing this for me cause we have 4 kids living with us and then he has 2 girls prior to meeting me but they live in Maryland but when they visit I will need a vehicle large enough to carry them around.

Now since my husband was happy about his plans, he calls his mom to tell her the good news. Now i know she will not be happy but I can't tell him that about his mom. His mother heard the news about the purchase for me and just simply said to my husband "oh so what about you fixing your license, are you going to get that fixed"....well, after she said that, my husband goes off, he starts to get annoyed and then asked her why can't she ever be happy about doing things for his wife, why can't she be happy to know that her son can be in the position to buy his wife a vehicle. She then say she's happy but she wanted to know about his license situation. 

I really would love to know why she's so miserable, if her son happen to mention that he's doing something for me and it's a surprise, she always find a way to either make him feel bad or say everyone is getting nice things but no one buys her anything.....mind you, my husband always buy her things that he hear her mention in their convos. My bff said she's jealous of me but I just can't agree but I ave no idea why she does childish things.

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyx2greeney
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I have had many problems with my MIL, but things are looking up.. Wanna know why?

I just shut my mouth and let her say what she wants.  No matter what we do, it is always wrong.. but we are happy so we just shrug it off.  She may never approve of anything because I am the woman that took her "son away".  He is still very close to her and I try to welcome her over to the house frequently (she is Awesome with the kids), but we still have many differences. 

Keep your head up, it will get better.  As much as you want to yell at your husband for not having "bigger balls", he is still protective of his mom and may take her side.. but try not to put him in that position.  It will only drive a wedge between you two.  He is on your side, he just has to "pretend" to be on hers too.  Good luck! 

Paperfishies
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM
What's wrong with his license?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Is you getting a car more important then him fixing his license? Can he drive? It's her job as a mother to be concerned about her child. That never goes away. But good for him for standing up for himself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SkullGoddess
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM
His license was suspended and he just need to pay the fee of $100.00 and it will be okay. Now he's going to that on Monday he's got the money and everything. I tried to tell his mother, I can't force your son to do what hey needs to do cause he's a grown man but I think she truly feels like I have this control over him. Oh and he knows how to drive. Getting the truck is important but it's never going to trump him getting his license fixed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aishamusty
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My dear it is typical behavior of mother in laws the best part is that your husband know and accepts there is something wrong with her. So don't allow it bother you just enjoy ! 

SkullGoddess
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Thank you all for your words. I do feel sorry for my husband cause you can see he wants to talk to his mom more than once a week but he has to keep her at a distant just because of her attitude towards anything he tries to do for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I think she is just a concerned mom, he should fix his license and it should be one of his first priorities. Sorry!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Quoting Paperfishies:

What's wrong with his license?

This is a good question!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting marchantmom06:

Is you getting a car more important then him fixing his license? Can he drive? It's her job as a mother to be concerned about her child. That never goes away. But good for him for standing up for himself?

I agree with you!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Quoting SkullGoddess:

His license was suspended and he just need to pay the fee of $100.00 and it will be okay. Now he's going to that on Monday he's got the money and everything. I tried to tell his mother, I can't force your son to do what hey needs to do cause he's a grown man but I think she truly feels like I have this control over him. Oh and he knows how to drive. Getting the truck is important but it's never going to trump him getting his license fixed.

Heck let him pay and then call her, $100 is not a lot why would he let his licence go for such a small price for a big privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN