Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Gallbladder Removal Question

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

I went into the ER last night for severe pain that didn't go away with the pain medications I have, after spending the night there and undergoing several tests (including xray, ct scan, and ultrasound), they decided my gallbladder needs to come out because of the stone I have in there and the organ is basically shriveling up around it. I didn't have the surgery this morning because of a dentist appointment I have for my son and I didn't have anyone there with me, and had the only car in the family (I drove myself).

So I will have it later this week, and my questions are: 1) Do they do it liposcopicly? 2) How long can I plan to spend in the hospital? Same day release, next day, 2 days, etc...? 3) Recovery time you had after having it removed?

Thanks

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My brother just had his out. My friend had hers out a couple years ago. Laporascopically. Same day release. They give you pain med prescription, but neither had them filled and only used Tylenol. Had no pain the following day. They layed low for a few days, like no heavy lifting, etc. The doctors didn't put either on a restricted diet, told them both it would be trial and error as to what would happen. My friend can't eat anything oily/greasy....goes right through her. That's all.

Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting EireLass:

My brother just had his out. My friend had hers out a couple years ago. Laporascopically. Same day release. They give you pain med prescription, but neither had them filled and only used Tylenol. Had no pain the following day. They layed low for a few days, like no heavy lifting, etc. The doctors didn't put either on a restricted diet, told them both it would be trial and error as to what would happen. My friend can't eat anything oily/greasy....goes right through her. That's all.

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck, hope you have a quick recovery!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amaranthleewolf
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Please make sure you do get this surgery, even if it is not done Laproscopically. My mom put hers off for years, and when her gallbladder was so full of stones that it burst, she almost died and ended up spending more than 2 weeks in the hospital. The surgeon told us that if we had waited another hour or 2 before bringing her in, she would have been dead. Please don't wait to get it done!

Mandymb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
all depends on the situation. had mine out three years ago. i staying in the hospital 2 days it took me a few weeks to get back to normal as far as soreness and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandymb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
all depends on the situation. had mine out three years ago. i staying in the hospital 2 days it took me a few weeks to get back to normal as far as soreness and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Oh, it will no doubt NOT be done outpatient and if it's serious as mine was-chock full of stones) you'll spend two or three days in hospital  I went in on a Monday and had a searching for renegade stones procedure Monday afternoon then Tuesday was the actual removal ANd yes you really must insist on laparoscopic surgery if at all possible since it will greatly reduce your recovery to about a week if there are no complications.  I was released on Wednesday afternoon, spent about  two hours at home during which the same symptoms (terrible cramping and jaundice) came back so back I went  because apparently a stone was spit out just before the removal which caused trouble and gave me pancreatitis.  I was finally released on Friday afternoon and was home for about a week before retunring to work.  As a mom with domestic responsibilities you need to recover fast.  Don't put it off!  Good luck! 

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I had mine removed in 2009 and it was done laparoscopically.  Mine was full of stones so they actually had to make another incision to remove it.  I had to stay overnight for observation, but that was only because of the extra incision, it is usually an out patient procedure.  I had it done on Thursday and was back at work on Monday.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Mine was laproscopically and I was cleared to go home the same day.

Get it out of there for sure though. I didn't get mine out the first time they told me to and I ended up hospitalized with pancreatitis for 9 days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Quoting amaranthleewolf:

Please make sure you do get this surgery, even if it is not done Laproscopically. My mom put hers off for years, and when her gallbladder was so full of stones that it burst, she almost died and ended up spending more than 2 weeks in the hospital. The surgeon told us that if we had waited another hour or 2 before bringing her in, she would have been dead. Please don't wait to get it done!

Oh I plan on getting the surgery. I already made the appointment to do the consultation with the surgeon. I just didn't want to put off my sons appointment tomorrow because it's his check up and cleaning, and since it didn't sound like life or death right this second (if it was, the doctor wouldn't have given me a choice), I figured it could wait a few days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)