Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age is it too old to be spanking your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I remember when I was 5 years old, my step dad would spank his 16 or 17 year old son.

Would you spank your older children if you thought it was working?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
mama2b100808
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

If it worked yes but if it doesn't why spank. Now days there is grounding and taking away things they enjoy. 

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Spanking is correction not 'hitting' a person. It's not against the law. You are absurd!

Quoting shagany:

This is so demented, that's called abuse, no age is right for hitting a person.  Go get some therapy, better yet call DYFS, and tell them what you did.

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
4 moms liked this
IQuoting Kim042269:

As a mom who used to spank, my advice is, don't. Not at any age. It's humiliating, it doesn't teach anything but that hitting is the answer when you have a problem, and studies show that it causes a whole range of problems. I wish I had understood that when my older kids were little. I really do.

I've read those studies and believe it's all a bunch of junk. I think real life is a better indicator of how things work. People have spanked children for centuries and people have turned out fine. We now have a generation of 'timeouts' and we see children have become montsers, disrespectful and they don't listen. Don't even get me started on teenagers. When spanking is done correctly it works wonders. I believe in spanking my kids, I also believe never spanking in anger, and that my children aren't criminals so spanking isn't a punishment it's a correction.

Ali5683
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Spanking is unacceptable at any age in my opinion.

Mommy4two
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

No, that's insane my mother used to beat the crap out of me and when I was 15 she went to hit me and I grabbed her by her wrist and said not anymore... I was way to damn old for that bs ... My kids are 9&6 and I still smack my 9 yr. old on a rare occassion... I honestly rarely smack either of my kids NOT saying I won't bc my God I have when it was well deserved but I don't like to so I do time outs,grounding them and loss of items before hand if I can help it but things like laughing at me or being way to disrespectful will get you a quick hand in a heartbeat...

KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

The American College of Pediatricians says parents who spank should not spank after age 10.

Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Wow..

So, the smaller and more helpless and innocent they are the more worthy they are of being spanked?

Messed up...

Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Ali5683:

Spanking is unacceptable at any age in my opinion.

I agree.

I don't see how older is worse.

The more you understand about the world the more you deserve to be hit for making really bad decisions.

I don't believe anyone should ever be hit, but, if you're going to hit someone, DON'T hit a little child, for crying out loud.

Jeez.

Bek22
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess around 9 or 10. I don't know, every parent is different. I take things away from my older children and it works like a charm.

Oceana09
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish taking things away worked for my child. But when I take things away she just looks at me, laughs at me, and says "i'm telling daddy." with a huge smile on her face. Spanking however seems to do the trick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)