Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age is it too old to be spanking your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I remember when I was 5 years old, my step dad would spank his 16 or 17 year old son.

Would you spank your older children if you thought it was working?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (221-230):
SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Yesterday at 9:19 AM
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Excellent point. I will add though that some kids only understand physical discipline, but those children are rare, and I think as a result the exception proves the rule. You just don't spank.

I've never met a person who didn't spank out of anger or frustration. Some parents claim they do--they claim they calm down and then administer the punishment of spanking--but I don't buy it. Once the child learns they can elicit that emotional reaction from the parent, the child wins. Fear of spanking doesn't alleviate that "win."

Quoting Cals3sons:

how about not spanking your kids at any age???  there's a thought!      I find it abusive that you would spank a baby and toddler but "oh no I wouldn't spank an older child"   t hat's weird.      All you do is teach your child how to hit - that's it.    Why can't people use their intellect to discipline a child,  maybe some patience,  is that too hard??     only parents that lose control hit their children, period.   I have 3 boys and yes I get really tired and frustrated but I know not to lay a hand on them because I don't want them to lay a hand on anyone in their lifetime. 

slightlyperfect

MoreThanMost
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe spanking is a form of discipline and its not to teach them "hitting is the answer" its to respect authority. If your kid is going to disrespect YOU, lord knows they arent afraid to disrespect whoever they want and thats the problem with society.

marissa615
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I think that spanking in general at any age is not ok.

justone_jen
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I don't agree with spanking, but, if you still have to spank at 16, isn't that proof that spanking didn't work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessica1078
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I don't like to spank my lo and my 15 yr old runs from me- he knows just how far he can push me before momma snaps lol I've only spanked a few times and it's for dangerous situations, when he was 4 he ran into the street so yeah a swat on the rear is better than a trip to the er
mom18103
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My son is 24 & I would still kick his ass if needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IQuitCounting
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

No, I would qualify that more as a misnomer :)  It's a concept often missconstrued.

Quoting vinalex0581:

so do you think the saying, "Tough Love" is oxymoron?

just wondering

Quoting IQuitCounting:

I won't spank at any age.  You can't hit someone with love, it's an oxymoron.

CampIsaacMama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
When they're too big to hold down or it stops being effective its time to stop! I will spank if necessary until it stops "working".
Rebecca101107
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I have an 11 year old and I have never hit him and never would, although as parents we are all different! So I don't think I could ever at any age.
chattycassie
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)