Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age is it too old to be spanking your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I remember when I was 5 years old, my step dad would spank his 16 or 17 year old son.

Would you spank your older children if you thought it was working?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (241-250):
nanasprozac
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

for myself<all my kids are adult now>I did have to spank a couple times when they were in their teens..alot depends on what the kid does...at the teen age grounding from phone friends tv computer go a long long way in disapline ...but there are still those other times when you have to decide...1 other thing I want to post for those of you still raising your kids...it was how I got my 3 kids to always ALWAYS come home on time...they were grounded 1 day for every minute they were late...1 day for every 2 minutes if they called and I would let them do odd chores around the house to work it off...my daughter only came home late once and that was with a phone call ...my sons were never late...usually I saw my kids about 15 minutes before they were to be home...it worked like a charm

punchnpie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol My Big Momma snatched my Uncle up and spanked him and he was 40 something. I am an eyewitness..lol
nicole2884
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't spank. At any age i dont need to spank to get desired goals
No offense just not for us
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anneliese1234
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as they live at home and they need it, a spanking is good

FoxxyMama1
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I love it when people quote the bible as being justification for horrible behavior.  Obviously spanking did nothing for the people in this thread who feel it's okay to continue using violence to try to curb their children's behaviors.  Spanking is not discipline. 

dis·ci·pline

[dis-uh-plin] Show IPA noun, verb, dis·ci·plined, dis·ci·plin·ing.

noun

1.training to act in accordance with rules; drill: military discipline.
2.activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training: A daily stint at the typewriter is excellent discipline for a writer.
3.punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.
4.the rigor or training effect of experience, adversity, etc.: the harsh discipline of poverty.
5.behavior in accord with rules of conduct; behavior and order maintained by training and control: good discipline in an army.

Please tell me how striking a person fits into any of these definitions of discipline?   The #1 definition is "TRAINING".  What are you teaching your children when you hit them?  Violence begets violence.  I still remember my mother beating me and saying "don't ~slap~ hit ~slap~ your ~slap~ brothers ~punch~". 

You can discpline your child without hitting.  You can teach your child consequences without hitting.  But that requires discplining yourself, setting real boundaries and allowing your children to suffer real consequences of their actions and that takes work and forethought.  Something many of the people in this thread appear to be too lazy to do.
nana2u10
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe spanking  does anything but cause temporary fear of the spanker. I always heard, bif you whip a puppy that puppy will one day be a big Dog. Same goes for kids, they will not always be small. Spanky to me is done out of frustration when the parent cannot get the results they want. Taking something the child really likes away from them and sticking to it ,in my opinion has more results .

Jettsmom2010
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Hitting at any age is not ok. Spanking,hitting, popping, tapping, smacking whatever you call it is horrible and teaches nothing. Only lazy uneducated parents spank. Studies have show that parents with a college degree are way less likely to hit their children because they are more educated and find safer and healthier ways to correct their children's behavior.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shagany
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

That's disgusting, you don't spank anyone, old or young.  You are going to make that child hate you, you are going to see some serious rebellion, as they age.  They will turn on you soon, if they haven't already.  Or they will take it out with drinking or with drugs.  You are one demented man.  I still cannot believe he puts up with it.

vinalex0581
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

BUMP!

GoddessBaker
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Spanking after about 6 gets a little weird. After that I think it should be a punishment such as having to clean or do something they wouldn't normally clean or do, or giving up a favored item for a period of time. My brother used to get a smack to the back of the head, he outweighed and towered over my mom by 6 inches by the time he was 12.  For teens, taking something away, earlier curfew, manual labor lol stuff like that. In extreme teenage cases.... I have a frend who's at the time 14 year old daughter mouthed off to him and said something innappropriate after she snuck out of the house, and had been ditching school and doing other things. He took her phone and she laughed at him and said she'd just use her computer. He got mad enough to take everything, and I mean everything, out of her room and pad lock it in the shed. All he left was her bed pillow and one blanket, and her clothes. He went to pick her up from school and drop her off everyday after that, and she had a notebook that had to be signed by her teachers everyday saying she made it to class. She would then come home, do her homework, her laundry, chores, eat , set up her things for the next day and then she was to stay in her room. Lights out at 8:30. Nothing in her room but her bed and school books. She had to earn it back item by item. He got a lot of pushback from her the first couple months...but after that she stopped doing what she was doing, stayed in school, and after about 6 months she had earned everything back and was doing great. She is now 17, and preparing for college. Something he didn't think she would get to do if she didn't stop her behavior. If my kids ever did that, I think I would probably use his method. It seems to teach them the value of things. Stuff, education, a caring parent. Ended up a whole lot better than another one I know, she just let him do what he wanted, he is 18 now, never leaves the house, no job, didn't finish 9th grade, no license, won't even get his birth cert to take his GED, and has no ambition to do any of these things. ..and is horribly verbally abusive to her and she puts up with it, and gets him everything he wants when he throws his tantrum. He also thinks the world owes him and everyone should buy him expensive stuff. It kinda makes me wanna hurl. But point being, spanking? ...not really after about 6 or 7 years old, then it's time do something else IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN