Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

At what age is it too old to be spanking your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I remember when I was 5 years old, my step dad would spank his 16 or 17 year old son.

Would you spank your older children if you thought it was working?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (271-278):
EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

No age is appropriate for spanking.  IT is never ok to hit an adult, say, your spouse so how can anyone justify hitting a defenseless child?  I do not understand that.  There are far better ways to disciplining children.  Don't do it at all.

MJP76
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yes, if I felt it nessisary. I'd say once they are 18 then Butt whoopings needs to stop.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I do not spank after 3 - 3 1/2yrs old.

jasminedawson1
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I'm African! We spank, crank the whip, whtever works till whatever age. They all work too!"Spare the rod, spoil the child!"
mdawn028
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Mobile Photo

Yes my mom always said u are never to old to get a spanking if u are being disrespectful and not listening and doing what u are told.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenniferLeighLu
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Exactly...Why do younger children get hit while older children get their phone taken away?  Because older children can hit you back!

Quoting Kim042269:

As a mom who used to spank, my advice is, don't. Not at any age. It's humiliating, it doesn't teach anything but that hitting is the answer when you have a problem, and studies show that it causes a whole range of problems. I wish I had understood that when my older kids were little. I really do.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM
FYI - in biblical times, the shepherding rod was used to guide and protect the sheep. Not strike or hit the sheep.

Spare the guidance spoil the child - it has nothing to do with corporal punishment

Quoting jasminedawson1:

I'm African! We spank, crank the whip, whtever works till whatever age. They all work too!"Spare the rod, spoil the child!"

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
So bc his parents did not do it effectively there is no way to discipline without striking children?

I was raised in a no- spank household and there was no lack of discipline.

Same for my children.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

I do not hit my children. Nor do i believe spanking is a voiolent act. I am showing that when negative behaviours are used they get nagative results. I believe there is a huge difference between the role of the parents and the children. I don't spank my husband because he doesnt need it. Its a season of life. i believe with spaanking as with anything else it needs to be consistent. Most parents arent and say they 'didn't see a difference' my husband wasnt spanked his mom was all pro equality and no violence, well him and his brother abuse and hate thier parents, they can never say a respectful thing. I was spanked as a child until around 5 and I am appaled by the way my husband disrecpects his parents. Not to mention his brother deals with anger managment and other abuses. Tell me timeouts worked for them.

Quoting Kim042269:

Right. Well, I've seen your argument plenty of times, and I disagree with it. I think hitting your children enourages them to hit, is humiliating, and takes from your relationship with them. I was hit, and I don't think it was a good thing. I have years of experience as a parent - so I am speaking from experience - and from my experience with raising my children - the older who I did hit, and the younger ones who I did not, I can whole heartedly assure you that it is not better to hit. I also think hitting is a violent act, and no household should have violence within it. I am not hit by my husband when I do something he doesn't - why should it be ok that my children are hit when I don't like what they are doing?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

IQuoting Kim042269:

As a mom who used to spank, my advice is, don't. Not at any age. It's humiliating, it doesn't teach anything but that hitting is the answer when you have a problem, and studies show that it causes a whole range of problems. I wish I had understood that when my older kids were little. I really do.

I've read those studies and believe it's all a bunch of junk. I think real life is a better indicator of how things work. People have spanked children for centuries and people have turned out fine. We now have a generation of 'timeouts' and we see children have become montsers, disrespectful and they don't listen. Don't even get me started on teenagers. When spanking is done correctly it works wonders. I believe in spanking my kids, I also believe never spanking in anger, and that my children aren't criminals so spanking isn't a punishment it's a correction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)