Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age is it too old to be spanking your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I remember when I was 5 years old, my step dad would spank his 16 or 17 year old son.

Would you spank your older children if you thought it was working?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
charity62
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I think if you do spankings right at a young age you will not have to do it when there older

littlemoments99
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

hmmm....maybe 10. You can find other ways to punish kids at that age I would think. Like my brothers loved Yugioh cards. My mom took those away when they were bad at that age. They didn't like that. Or tv, video games, all ways to punish. Groundings are more effective at a certain age I would think.

vinalex0581
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

interesting. why do you regret it?

Quoting Kim042269:

As a mom who used to spank, my advice is, don't. Not at any age. It's humiliating, it doesn't teach anything but that hitting is the answer when you have a problem, and studies show that it causes a whole range of problems. I wish I had understood that when my older kids were little. I really do.

vinalex0581
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

it wasn't me.

it was my step dad.

Quoting shagany:

This is so demented, that's called abuse, no age is right for hitting a person.  Go get some therapy, better yet call DYFS, and tell them what you did.

vinalex0581
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

good point

Quoting So_Devious20:

spanking is not against the law

Quoting shagany:

This is so demented, that's called abuse, no age is right for hitting a person.  Go get some therapy, better yet call DYFS, and tell them what you did.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We are a no spanking home.

vinalex0581
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

you'd be surprised how many parents think like that.

Quoting Kazoo22:

You're disturbed. Unless the parent is abusive or having sexual action/thoughts how does it seem sexual. It's their child. I'm not saying they should spank a 16 year old child because that's too old, but it's not sexual. There's something wrong with a person who thinks that.

Quoting mommylovingtime:

That is sooo not okay. Spanking at an older age just seems sexual.

LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We didn't get spanked after the age of 12...we did get the shit knocked out of us when we needed it though! Lol. I watched my mom straight up slap my sister in the face (she deserved it!) before. 

Queen_Sheila
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

When I think of spanking a teenager, the sketch from SNL with Shaquill O'Neal getting spanked comes to mind; he pretends that it hurts, but he's laughing.

icn_mom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think once they are able to understand a consequence the spanking stops.. Ive never been huge on spanking to begin with, but sometimes I guess it was a last resort.. I wouldnt suggest spanking an older kid, i remember when i was 14 my mom  tried physical dicipline and i laid her out for touching me.. I wouldnt want to chance that with my daughter lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)