Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

help looking for advice

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a 10 year old daughter that has really thick curly hair that she absolutely hates to brush it .I have run out of ideas to get her to take care of it and constantly have to fight to comb through it.  I have gone through every idea i could think of but she doesnt want to comb through it and it just gets to a point where its so tangled and she could care less . im looking for any mom out there to please help i cant fight with her or take the hour and a half when she doesnt do it  thank you 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Skibum4421
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

My hair turned very thick and frizzy when I was 13 and its stayed. When she showers have her wash it right away and then cake on conditioner and let it sit on her hair until right before she is ready to get out.... Towel dry it and pick through it starting from the bottom. In addition to this you could try Morocan oil. It did my air wonders but its not cheap! I hope this helps! The plus side is she has hair most people dream for.... Thick!!! :) 

Sue1605
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My hair is very different - fine and almost straight or slightly wavy. It still tangles a LOT and I get wary of combing it. So I thought of answering your post  to let you know that you might want to give the John Freida Anti Frizz a try. I just put a very small amount into my hair in a way of messing it up even more, then I just run my hand through and somehow the tangles all come out even without combing.

bellawomen
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Comb it in the shower after letting conditioner soak in for a while. Never comb it while its wet. Stop using brushes, it makes it worse. Get sulfate free hair products.

That's all I got. I have curly hair, but after 28 year haven't figure out how to style it to where I like it. :/

ETA: I meant to say: never comb it while DRY!!! Sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

If she will not take care of her hair, get rid of the hair.  Seriously.  Shave it off.

jennagain00
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I remember when I was a kid, I had beautiful long curly (spiral curls).  Once I got out of the shower my mom would rake through my hair and I would scream.  We developed a penny bucket.  Everytime my mom pulled my hair I got a penny.  I would end up with about .40 cents in pennys by the end of it, and at a young age I was okay with it.  Since you have a 10 year old, let her squirt her hair with some "No More Tangles", and brush her own hair.  She need to learn to take care of her own hair at the age of 10.

PartyOfCuatro
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I agree with the no brush and sulfate free.  Look up naturallycurly.com  so much great advice.  Going sulfate free and silicone free has done wonders for my DD.  Her curls are beautiful now and not a tangled mess.  

Quoting bellawomen:

Comb it in the shower after letting conditioner soak in for a while. Never comb it while its wet. Stop using brushes, it makes it worse. Get sulfate free hair products.

That's all I got. I have curly hair, but after 28 year haven't figure out how to style it to where I like it. :/

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM

With my daughter (3) she's got baby fine super curly hair. I wash it with detangling shampoo. and then I use a lot of curly hair specific conditioner, and comb it out, slowly.

Of course a 10 year old should be combing her own hair. My mom got sick of my hair and told me if I didn't comb it she would cut it off. And that's exactly what she did. Went from hair past my butt to ear length and I cried and cried. But it taught me to comb my hair.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM

I have very thick, frizzy, wavy hair.  Always have.  Nothing has helped my hair.  I hope you find something that works.

juggamomma
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Mine is the same. I have an afro if I don't straighten it. I just deal with it :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN