Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I am detoxing, weaning, whatever, myself from...

Posted by   + Show Post

...drinks like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc.  Wednesday afternoon was my last Coke.  I know this is not going to be easy, my mom jokes that she was putting Pepsi in my bottles!, and I already have a lack of caffeine headache, which hot tea is NOT touching.  Wish me luck, please.  I'm sure I'm going to need lots of it.  Thanks, ladies! :)

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
laineysmum
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I quit drinking Diet Pepsi earlier this year. I don't even know how many I was drinking - a 12-pack wouldn't last me two days (I didn't buy it all the time but when I did it would be gone like THAT)

As soon as you get past the caffiene headaches you will have smooth sailing. The first three days of quitting or starting anything are the worst. 

I don't think you will get to a point where you hate them - they are designed for your body to love them. BUT you will get to a place where you don't crave them, and you can have one once in a blue moon like during an emergency fast food stop or something, and it will be what it is supposed to be - a rare treat that won't trigger your cravings. 

Good luck! 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Thank you!  I've been drinking Pepsi since I was 2.  Seriously.  I asked my mom last night.  I am 33 now, 34 next month.  I've been drinking these drinks at least 3 or 4 cans a day, sometimes 2 or 3 2 liters a day.  I loved when we were back home in NC where they have 3 liters!  I'd drink 2 of those in one day.  This has happened for years.  Crazy if I think about it.  I've always wondered why my husband is so adamant that he wishes I don't drink as much of them as I do.  Now I know.  They are just not good for me, even though they may taste really good.

Quoting sjump25:

Good luck! It's hard to real but you can do it! I have drank soda regularly for 13 years now. I used to drink 2-2 liters a day at least :/

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Thank you!  That's one thing I didn't do while I was pregnant.  I didn't cold turkey off of anything I love to eat or drink.  I don't usually drink alcoholic drinks anyway, and I don't do drugs so I figured I was okay with not going cold turkey off of anything.  My kids came out fine.  Yes, this is hard to do.  I'm just trying not to think about it, and making me some tea, water or juice when I get thirsty instead of reaching for a can of something :)

Quoting TexasMami409:

Good luck! I cold turkeyd from Dr Pepper while pregnant. It was hard. But it did make it easier knowing I was affecting someone else by drinking them. To do it on my own??? That would be HARD.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Thank you!  Oh...I haven't touched coffee since I stopped with the other drinks.  I didn't think of giving up coffee.  Hmmm...I'll have to think about that.  Really the only kind of coffee I like now anyway comes from Dutch Bros, which is an awesome local drive thru coffee place.  So it will be easy to not have my husband drive there and BUY me some coffee.  More $$ in our pockets because of that, lol.  Yeah, I've been trying tylenol, ibuprofen and chocolate but none of those are working.  I will survive.  You know, I said "detoxing" because to me, these drinks are like a drug.  Even right now I have a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in my cabinet because if I don't have something close at hand I get all anxious.  I told my husband when we bought it on Tuesday to not let me have any unless I cannot move because of the headaches.  So far, so good.

Quoting Bmama1:

Good luck! I've stopped drinking soda recently also but I haven't givin up coffee. Maybe some chocolate and tylonal will help your headache.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Thank you for the encouragement!  Was it hard for you to stop too?  Did you have caffeine headaches as well?

Quoting .Holly.:

I stopped drinking sodas in 2005. You can do it.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Thank you!  Was it hard for you to stop drinking them too?  I think that's the hardest part so far.  Not drinking them.  It's not so much the headaches right now...it's like I'm CRAVING a can at the moment. :/

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

YOu can do it!!!! i haven't had soda in almost a year now and I feel so much better WITHOUT it. That stuff is horrible for teeth, physical health and mental health. UGH!

You go girl!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Thank you for your encouragement!  That's how I am...a 12 pack won't last me 2 days sometimes, and if I happen to have a 24 pack...whew.  It won't last 5 days.  I always have to have at least a 12 pack in my house because if I don't I go into like some sort of panic attack.  As it stands right now, I have a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in my cabinet.  I told my husband when we bought it to not let me have any unless I cannot move because of the severity of a headache.  So far, so good. :)

I've heard people say that they can't stand drinks like that after awhile, and to drink them will make them physically sick.  I don't know if/when I will get to that point, but I think if I do it might actually be a good thing for me.  I will have to say though that I love what McDonald's does to their Cokes, so I may have to have one every so often when I get to the point of not having cravings, which right now I am and am trying to combat it by drinking some tea.

Quoting laineysmum:

I quit drinking Diet Pepsi earlier this year. I don't even know how many I was drinking - a 12-pack wouldn't last me two days (I didn't buy it all the time but when I did it would be gone like THAT)

As soon as you get past the caffiene headaches you will have smooth sailing. The first three days of quitting or starting anything are the worst. 

I don't think you will get to a point where you hate them - they are designed for your body to love them. BUT you will get to a place where you don't crave them, and you can have one once in a blue moon like during an emergency fast food stop or something, and it will be what it is supposed to be - a rare treat that won't trigger your cravings. 

Good luck! 

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah it was really hard, but the in the long run i feel SO much better. And thats what you gotta keep in mind is when you are at that point of, "soda? whats soda?" lol.

Also, remember its just that, its just soda. Nothing you need to have, you wont die without it. :] u can do it

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Thank you!  Was it hard for you to stop drinking them too?  I think that's the hardest part so far.  Not drinking them.  It's not so much the headaches right now...it's like I'm CRAVING a can at the moment. :/

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

YOu can do it!!!! i haven't had soda in almost a year now and I feel so much better WITHOUT it. That stuff is horrible for teeth, physical health and mental health. UGH!

You go girl!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That's what I am hoping for.  That I will get to that point.  Also, my kids, especially my girls know how "dependent" I am on these drinks, and they are quite skeptical that I am doing this.  They don't think that I can, and I am going to prove to them that I can and hopefully they will learn from me that they don't need to drink as much as I have in my life. *so far, they haven't*

Thank you. :)

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

Yeah it was really hard, but the in the long run i feel SO much better. And thats what you gotta keep in mind is when you are at that point of, "soda? whats soda?" lol.

Also, remember its just that, its just soda. Nothing you need to have, you wont die without it. :] u can do it

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

You go girl!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah we could.  I broke and had coke with my pizza lol darn it all

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Thank you!  It's really hard, but if I can do it, I am sure you can!  We can do this together if you'd like.  Keep each other accountable :)

Quoting hayliedlr:

Good Luck.  I need to follow lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)