Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

"You are being irrational."

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 44 Replies

My grandmother, my moms mom, (we all call her Nana) is 70 years old. I think she has been driving since she was 24 (I think). She has never been in one single accident and maybe just a couple of parking tickets but that's it.

My mom went for a drive with Nana, i think a couple of months ago, just to make sure that Nana is still safe with her driving. My mom told me that if she didn't feel safe riding in the car with Nana that she wouldn't let anyone else do it.

I have my oldest son, 7 years old, his name is Alex. I love him, he's my first child so maybe I am a little over protective of him, IDK.

My mom wants Nana to pick my son up this afternoon and I told my mom that I don't feel comfortable allowing Nana to drive with Alex in the car.

I explained to her how she's an older women and her reaction time isn't as quick as it use to be. I told her that I don't feel comfortable with that.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational. I told my mom that I would be more than happy to drop Alex off at her house (I live 6 minutes away from my mom) and she told me that it is a waste of gas and that I don't have to do any unnecessary driving because Nana can come pick Alex up.

I repeated myself and said I don't feel comfortable letting Nana driving while Alex is in the car.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Am I really being irrational?

Should I just allow my grandmother to take Alex to my mom's house?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
70 is not very old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Although I applaud your protective nature towards your son, Nana has not shown any reason to doubt her driving skills. I think your "what ifs" are making you afraid unneccessarily. If it were my 85 yr old PaPaw, thats another story. He is obviously impaired and I wouldnt ride with him if he was the last option. I think you're fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sj218
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this
Maybe you should have her put in a nursing home. Or have her put down like an old horse.
She's 70 something not 102. I get the fear, but YES you are being irrational.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
4 moms liked this

It's your kid, whatever decision you make is the one you'll have to live with.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Obviously, you know her mental state a little more than us.  If you are not comfortable with it, then you don't have to allow it. 

sjump25
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

If that is your mother's gut instinct then no.. you are not being irrational.  If you want to "waste the gas" to make yourself feel better then that is your problem.. not hers.  

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you know your Nana's driving skills? Go for a ride with her. I don't know if you are being irrational but whatever you decide for your son you should make sure your mother follows through with your wishes.

marissa615
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

70 is not old.  My mother is 73 and although I admit not as quick as she used to be, I let her drive with my 5 year old all the time. And my dad is 77, he too drives with my DD.  However my parents are very active youngish kinda old folk...lol

kate80
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Not necessarily. You are being protective. She has never had an accident though, so you might be just a tad paranoid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to do whatever you feel comfortable with he is your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN