Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

stay at home mom not good enough?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 46 Replies

I am wondering what everyones honest opinion is. My dh doesn't understand why I have no desire to go to school. We got married a year after I graduated high school and I never went to college. We have 3 children and my youngest went to school this year so I have spent the last 4-5 months being a stay at home mom without them home. He says he thought I would want to go to school and "do something with my life by now." The way I look at it is I am already doing something with my life. I am completely fulfilled being a SAHM. I don't feel like there is anything missing. I have no desire to do anything else. once upon a time that is what women did. They spent their lives taking care of their families.Now I have offered to get a job while the kids are in school but any job making less than $10 an hour is a waste of time in his opinion (since he makes enough to support us) and the area where we live you can't just get a job that pays that and still be home for the kids. It's just not happening. He wants me to go to school and get a degree. He says he doesn't care if I never work He just wants me to go to school and get a degree in something useful.

So what do you think is being a stay at home mom good enough?  Is a woman considered "doing nothing with her life" If she does not go to school to have a career?

by the way I am considering homeschooling next year and am concerned I will not be able to handle that on top of an education for myself.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It's good enough for us and that's all that matters.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Do what ever you feel is best for you.  sounds like he was looking out for you and maybe thinking that YOU would want more than just the title of a SAHM.

manamott
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I think it's good enough. I'm a SAHM and I am in school but that's just what I wanted to do. I don't know if I want to get a job at all...even when all the kids are in school. Of course I would if I needed to but I don't. DH is fine with that. He would be fine if I never got a job and he would be fine if I didn't want to go to school anymore. And I just started homeschooling my 1st grader this year so if we keep that up it could be a long long while until I have free time! lol I have three kids by the way (6, 4, and 19 months)

momamanda
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM

,he is worried that I won't be happy If I don't "do more for myself" but He just doesn't get why I don't need more.

Quoting hayliedlr:

Do what ever you feel is best for you.  sounds like he was looking out for you and maybe thinking that YOU would want more than just the title of a SAHM.

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I think he may just want to make sure you never feel regret over not getting a higher education. But if you feel fulfilled with your life, then thats all that matters. I'm sorry hes making you question whether he feels the same. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
me-n-mygirls
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
look into some degree with education or children to help with being a stay at home mom.
maybe find a place to volunteer at.
I think he just doesnt want you to look back and what if or blame him. Sounds like he is trying to do ....what he feels.....is best for you.
Looking into it may open up an option you didnt think about or give him enough to know you tried and truly are ok without doing it.
Do you have a hobby that you can go and learn more, become a pro at it?
cooking, hair, photography, art, there are alot of options......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

just let him know that you are fulfilled in your role as a SAHM and you want nothing more. 

Quoting momamanda:

,he is worried that I won't be happy If I don't "do more for myself" but He just doesn't get why I don't need more.

Quoting hayliedlr:

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Why bother to spend the $ to get a degree if you'd never intend on using it?
CLEKate
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

What happens if you two break up?

What happens if he loses his job?

What happens to your family then?  You won't be able to do anything about it because you have nothing but a high school degree.

And what sort of example does this set for your kids?  Do you want them to get an education? 

nicole2884
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with it

I hope to be able to be one

But i agree with your dh. . When the kids are older i would want to have a career

What happens when they are teens an don't need you as much or when they are away at college.WHAT THEN
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN