Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Attention Hairdressers

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have a question about dandruff....ugh right?!  LOL 

I have incredibly thick hair and it is down to my shoulders.  I have dandruff but don't like using head & shoulders every time I wash my hair and when I do I find that it is hard to get the shampoo all the way to the scalp.  Is there something else I can do that I don't know about?  The itchiness and flaking can get rather embarrassing at times.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alisha3
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I used to use Paul Mitchels tea tree shampoo. I also don't wash my hair everyday. Which helps it from drying out too much.
Leslie_Panek
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I went to Paul Mitchell the school and "Alisha3" is absolutely right! Tea tree is the BEST thing for an itchy, flaky scalp. It'll sooth your scalp w/ the aloe in it, tea tree also has healing properties and will give you the moisture you need. Good luck!!

Quoting Alisha3:

I used to use Paul Mitchels tea tree shampoo. I also don't wash my hair everyday. Which helps it from drying out too much.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sugarfox72
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I absolutely agree with these ladies! I use to have terrible dandruff and it itched as soon as I switched to tea tree shampoo it went away and it hasn't come back! :) Good luck!
louiegirl62
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo! Another thing I do is massage about a teaspoon of olive oil into my scalp at night once in a while. I kind of rub it on all my fingertips and get it right up onto my scalp, it feels really good.

Ciaobambina
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Hi I'm a cosmotologist and hair stylist... I recommend a nice olive oil mask...get a nice hydrating mask for hair and mix in a nice amount of olive oil...after washing ur hair w a tea tree shampoo.....apply this mask olive oil mix onto ur scalp and towards the ends (on towel dryed hair) comb thru w a wide toothed comb... Leave on ur hair for a few hours or even over nite (use a cap)... Then rinse out next day... Not only will ur har be soft but ur scalp will be healed and soothed.. U should do this often.. Maybe at least once to keep scalp from becoming dry...

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Condtioner is a little pricey but soooo worth it. Its like little ice fairies dancing on your scalp. My scalp and hair have never felt so clean and healthy!

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Tea tree or neem oil shampoo works wonders.  You don't just have to use the Paul Mitchell kind either, go to your local health food store and get some from there.  You could also just purchase the oils and add a few drops to the shampoo of your chosing.

EducatedMommie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Oh my gosh ladies thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!   I've seen the tea tree oil stuff but never thought to try it.....but I am most definitely going to now. 

BrittanyJean220
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Tea tree is good but if you can't afford it you could try T-gel shampoo once or twice a week or even less depending on how bad your dandruff is. You can find it in the drug store. It smells like tar but it also works just as good.
letstalk747
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

yup , tea tree , t-gel , rinse longer , shampoo then do a straight  vinegar rinse , only put conditioner on the hair dont rub it into your scalp , ---- its usually worse in the winter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN