Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

ADVICE!! Please

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 28 Replies

Hi, im just looking for some more advice from the mothers point of view. I am a mom to an 8 month old my first child and well he has Bronchiolitis (not sure if its spelt right) but its close to RSV, his doctor did give us some medicine to try to help clean out his lung but he just does not seem comfortable at all especially with this really bad cough thats followed by a runny nose. I use a humudifier but it doesnt seem to be working and i've also gone with the bathroom steam before. His doctor just told me to keep an eye on his breathing because he was having a hard time, then he said if he doesnt get better he might need to be admitted into the hospital and kept on oxygen. Was just wondering if there was any other at home things I could try to atleast make my son more comfortable while hes in the process of getting better. Any advice works and I already have another appointment set up for him but wanted to see what I could do until then, thank you :)

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM
When that happened to my dd last year , we saw a different doctor because hers kept saying it was a cold . The new doctor gave us a breathing treatment machine and it helped so much ! Within days she was feeling better.

Good luck !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
miranda91
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Thank you, they tried the nebulizer breathing treatment on him and waited alittle while to see if it would do anything to help open his lungs, sadly it didnt so they gave me this medicine to try on him for four days. Its helping alittle but not really and he always gags on it. I just wish he could be comfortable while getting better because his cough even wakes him up, its just sad to see babies or any kid sick<

shannon.m.park
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Do you guys smoke around him, or anything like that?????

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM
For one RSV is completely differnt from bronchitis. And one treatment with the nubulizer sometimes doesn't work, they would try multiple ones. And what do you think they would give him at the hospital? Breathing treatments. Consult another dr or calls yours and ask for a different antibiotic. If its cold where you are bundle him up and go sit in the cold air. One time won't fix the problem. You have to keep doing it and make sure your using a cool mist humidifier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miranda91
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

He didnt say it was RSV its the beginning stage of it, but I know that im just trying to find different ways to make him comfortable enough to atleast go to sleep without having to cough every few mins, but thank you. And yes it is cold here I will see about taking him out bundled up, thank you for your reply :)

And no we dont smoke around him...

miranda91
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

And his doctor was saying about the hospital part for oxygen because his oxygen can become low and they would want to keep an eye on him i guess, but he has an upcoming app to get checked again, im just wondering of different ways to make him alittle bit more comfortable until this starts to get better. Thanks for the responses everyone :)

honeydewdid
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM
2 moms liked this

My son was prescribed a steroid, he was 13 months old. The steriod cleared him up so fast there was no problems. 

honeydewdid
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

That was generally my first thought about kids who had bronchitis until my son got it out of nowhere. Well he got some sinus issues while at his dad's because the house is dry from the heater and they didn't set up his humidifier. It started as a cold and within 3 days he somehow came home with bronchitis. Just the dry air, natural mucus built up and formed it. 

Quoting shannon.m.park:

Do you guys smoke around him, or anything like that?????

Sweet.Rose
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Both of my son's have had bronchitis before. Just keep him elated while he sleeps. That will help him not cough so much and breath a bit easier. Try to give him baby food since formula makes his mucus worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
miranda91
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM

THAnk you, I will def keep that in mind and his prescription seems to be working its just the cough that seems to bother him sooo much. And I asked the doctor what it is caused from and he said its really going around bad, I live in Colorado also and the weather is pretty iffy one day its warm and the suns out and the next day its snowing lol  but no I would not smoke around my son, that actually really pisses me off so I would go off on anyone who smokes around him, I know some other people might do it with their children but not mine and also I have asthma myself I dont need my son getting that also. But thanks for the response :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)