Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 10 Replies
So I'm in the middle of writing a book, which I plan to have published. This will be the first time I have done this kind of thing, so I'm doing ALOT of research on how to get published and what it all involves... Turns out I have to write a 12-30 page book proposal. No big deal right, sounds easy enough... But turns out there's stuff in the proposal I don't want to or ca t include.. For example, in one section I have to convince the editor that millions of people will buy my book, the big deal, I have to back it up with facts, figures and trends to support my claim that these people exist and have a compelling reason to buy my book! What! How do I do that?!

Another section I need to talk about what shows, magazines and newspapers will cover the topic of my book... What!? How do I know this.. I guess I could research it, but my book is a young adult fiction kind of book...

Then the last section is about me, the author. I have to include credentials, awards and professional accomplishments... I don't have any! In a SAHM that never went to college and just thought it would be neat to write a book and have it published...

Anyone else ever publish a book before? Any tips for me?
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Des10ed2b
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

also research the publishers themselves. Publishers like to know that YOU know about them and can back it up with knowing the most common genre that they publish and why you would fit well into that catagory. Make your letter fun and uplifting. You can say things like, "my credentials are written in crayon, given that i am a stay at home with pre-school critics." and things like that. 

my mom is the best selling author for her publisher, so i have learned a few things along the way. lol. 

KateSmith88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
That sounds cute, the crayon writing, but I would be scared they wouldn't take me seriously.. Lol.
How did she find a publisher? I'm looking at different ones, but there seems to be so many to choose from! : /
Also, do you know if she ever go screwed over when she was first starting? I'm not wanting to get into any situation where I lose a lot of money or by book gets stolen.

Would I know any of the books your mom has written?

Quoting Des10ed2b:

also research the publishers themselves. Publishers like to know that YOU know about them and can back it up with knowing the most common genre that they publish and why you would fit well into that catagory. Make your letter fun and uplifting. You can say things like, "my credentials are written in crayon, given that i am a stay at home with pre-school critics." and things like that. 

my mom is the best selling author for her publisher, so i have learned a few things along the way. lol. 

Des10ed2b
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

they will like to see that you have a sense of humor though. It will help you stand out from the run of the mill people that send in their stuff every day. 

this is my mom.  http://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lee+hammond 

She has a series of art books and she has a DVD line for art instruction. That little girl done is graphite at the end of the top row is my daughter, she is on another one farther down also and so is my sister and niece. My daughter took one of the books for show and tell last year. Her friends at school all thought it was pretty cool that she was on the cover of a book!

Quoting KateSmith88:

That sounds cute, the crayon writing, but I would be scared they wouldn't take me seriously.. Lol.
How did she find a publisher? I'm looking at different ones, but there seems to be so many to choose from! : /
Also, do you know if she ever go screwed over when she was first starting? I'm not wanting to get into any situation where I lose a lot of money or by book gets stolen.

Would I know any of the books your mom has written?

Quoting Des10ed2b:

Proud mom of an ornery 3 year old boy, a very smart 6 year old girl! Married for 4.5 years, together for 7! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

KateSmith88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Oh ok, that's cool! I bet my mom has some of her books. She's big on drawling and painting.
I don't feel like I have anything interesting to put in the about the author section. Lol. Since this I'd my first book. Ill just have to think of something.

Quoting Des10ed2b:

sjump25
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I have no advice, but Stephanie Meyer and EL James were a SAHMs that just wanted to write a boook and look where they are!

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I believe that 50 shades author was found online. There's a website where people write their stories for online users to read. I think it's called fanfiction.net. I'd keep googling, I'm sure you'll find something.
Good luck with your book!! : )
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Inspire69
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Is your book fiction/non-fiction? And there are plenty of different ways and places to get your book published? Have you thought of doing an ebook and spreading it out longer with a blog added to it?

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I wish I did have some help for you but I do wish you the very best on this endevour. I think that is fantastic that you are writing a book. I can say that you will get it all figured out.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No idea - but good luck!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)