Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My former lover gave his baby daughter my name...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 22 Replies

I had a major love affair with a gorgeous Italian man, every summer from age 15 to 23. I loved him about as much as you can love someone when you are that age. I have not thought of him for years, but I recently found out that he named his baby daughter after me, and now I can't stop thinking about him. His choice of names is no coincidence, as my name is French and uncommon in the South of Italy. I am wondering why he would do such a thing to his wife, whether she knows, what will happen during my next visit to Italy, and why on Earth would he want to think of me every time he says his daughter's name, for the rest of his life. How could he do that to his wife? How could he do that to me? Why didn't he just marry me, then?

All the friends and cousins in the small Italian town are talking about this.

(I am now married to a wonderful man, and pregnant with our third child.)  Why am I thinking about the past like this?  Is it the pregnancy hormones?  Will it go away?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Wow
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
It could be from whacked out hormones? ??
That is crazy though, that his daughter's named after you. Might just be a huge coincidence? : )
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Yikes! I dunno girl. Thats pretty wild!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bridget487
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

It's no coincidence.  Everyone rushed to tell my parents about it during their last visit.  It's a very small town.  I just don't get it. 

The thing is, he just stopped writing and I figured it was over.  Maybe I gave up too soon?  Anyway, I am having silly thoughts now about him, and I am sure the hormones will pass.  I am just a little nervous now about my next visit.  I am also curious to know why he did it.

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I say it's the hormones. Who knows why he named her that. That is his business. He may want to remember you. He may have always like the name, or likes it now. Maybe his wife likes the name and she named the baby. His wife doesn't have to know. 

I think you are thinking to much with emotions right now. Congrats on your baby!

KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Similar thing happened to my mom, minus the affair. A family friend had a huge crush on her when they were teens, but my mom was dating my dad. He moved, years passed, and when he moved back to town, he was married and had a daughter with my moms name. Her name is kind of common now, but 30ish years ago, it was unheard of. It was no coincidence. His wife knew about my mom and still agreed to name their daughter after my mom. I have no idea why. He practically obsessed over my mom.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I honestly think that you are reading way too much into it.  Maybe his wife chose the name.  I used to date a guy named Cody and my husband wanted to name our son Kody.  We did, and I promise you it had nothing to do with my ex.  We just liked the name. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting KRYSTALK1013:

Similar thing happened to my mom, minus the affair. A family friend had a huge crush on her when they were teens, but my mom was dating my dad. He moved, years passed, and when he moved back to town, he was married and had a daughter with my moms name. Her name is kind of common now, but 30ish years ago, it was unheard of. It was no coincidence. His wife knew about my mom and still agreed to name their daughter after my mom. I have no idea why. He practically obsessed over my mom.

lol, a guy my grandmother dated back in the day named his daughter after her

KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Lol. Was she weirded out? My mom sure was. Dad was too.

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting KRYSTALK1013:

lol, a guy my grandmother dated back in the day named his daughter after her

GLO682
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i just saw a movie that had a similar scenario in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)