Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Spinoff from Cafe Steph post

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
So we all know that abstinence is the best way to prevent unwanted babies and STD's. And we all agree that sex is BEST within marriage or at LEAST a long term monogomous relationship. But here is my question? What are your feelings on school sponsored sex education? Should the schools be teaching abstinence because its "the right and moral choice"? Or should we be educating our children in case they do make an early choice to have sex?

I think with 14 year olds getting pregnant, the idea of "lets hope our kids wait till they are married" is over, sadly. People are waiting till 25 years old to get married. Do we think our kids will wait till then? Sure, there are the small percentage that will. And bravo. I waited till I was 22. But I still wasnt married. Education is always, IMO, power. Just like the anti drug campaign "just Say No" was an epic fail, I believe in most cases, "Just dont have sex. Period" wont be super effective either.

Playing my own devil's advocate...but do I reallyyyy trust my local school district to teach my child what I want them to know about sex? Hmmmmm not really! It is my responsibility I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

To be 100% honest, I believe that we should educate the hell out of our children when it comes to sex.  Teach them about the good, the bad and the ugly.  Dispel the myths.   Make sure they know that they only get one virginity and that having unprotected sex can result in things that are way worse than a baby.  Make condoms available, I am shocked that some teens are embarrassed to purchase them for themselves.  Teach them where they can go to get birth control.  Teach them to take ownership of their sexual health because no one else is going to do it for them.  Instill pride in them, be mentors.  Let our young men and women know that they do not need to have sex to fit in, or be liked by someone. 

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, too many parents won't teach those things, though because they don't want to think that their little angels would ever do something like, say... have sex.  So, yes, the schools should teach it and we, as responsible parents, should be able to answer any additional questions they have and allow them access to birthcontrol, condoms, etc.  If we want to raise informed, consenting, ADULTS, then it needs to be a partnership between ALL the various people who have hands on with our kids.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

To be 100% honest, I believe that we should educate the hell out of our children when it comes to sex.  Teach them about the good, the bad and the ugly.  Dispel the myths.   Make sure they know that they only get one virginity and that having unprotected sex can result in things that are way worse than a baby.  Make condoms available, I am shocked that some teens are embarrassed to purchase them for themselves.  Teach them where they can go to get birth control.  Teach them to take ownership of their sexual health because no one else is going to do it for them.  Instill pride in them, be mentors.  Let our young men and women know that they do not need to have sex to fit in, or be liked by someone. 

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have zero problem with the school stepping in and doing these things when the parents won't step up and do so.

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

Unfortunately, too many parents won't teach those things, though because they don't want to think that their little angels would ever do something like, say... have sex.  So, yes, the schools should teach it and we, as responsible parents, should be able to answer any additional questions they have and allow them access to birthcontrol, condoms, etc.  If we want to raise informed, consenting, ADULTS, then it needs to be a partnership between ALL the various people who have hands on with our kids.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

EireLass
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It never mattered to me if the school was going to teach it, because my kids were going to know before then. I think it's good for schools to teach, because obviously it's not being taught at home if people are getting pregnant at 14.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I want my child to learn facts. 

It is my job as their parents to teach them what to do with that information....

I will teach them facts and would be happy to have those facts reinforced in school.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I had sex education class in middle school *6th grade* and my daughters are having sex education class in 5th grade.  I think it's wonderful to have that education. 

beckolette
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Well look at it this way. No the school shouldn't teach a child about birth control because it is a religious subject.

Don't shoot me yet! I said birth control. Yes kids need to be taught about their bodies and how they work. Some parents just don't know all things that are taught. To know your body gives you the ability to keep it healthy. 

When they step over the line and start teaching no sex, birth control it then becomes a religious thing. That my friends needs to be discussed at home. IF religion and school are separate then it means all religion. Abstinece, birth control is a religion choice. The human is built and programmed to create life. It is religion that states "Virginity, abortion, and states what birth control method may be used."

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I dont know if abstinence is technically a religious choice....I would venture to say that non religious people are still able to believe in absitence. I'm a Christian, just playing devils advocate here. The reason I say that, is I actually got into an argument with an atheist CM momma once when I asked a curious question. I asked if my morals stem from the Bible, then where do atheists get their morals. She got irate and said you dont need the Bible to know how to be a good person *shrug*

Quoting beckolette:

Well look at it this way. No the school shouldn't teach a child about birth control because it is a religious subject.

Don't shoot me yet! I said birth control. Yes kids need to be taught about their bodies and how they work. Some parents just don't know all things that are taught. To know your body gives you the ability to keep it healthy. 

When they step over the line and start teaching no sex, birth control it then becomes a religious thing. That my friends needs to be discussed at home. IF religion and school are separate then it means all religion. Abstinece, birth control is a religion choice. The human is built and programmed to create life. It is religion that states "Virginity, abortion, and states what birth control method may be used."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stillkim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I agree with what you said. Eduction is power. It can come from home or school or both.

stringtheory
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Birth control and abstinence are not religious choices. Non-religious people choose to abstain, take birth control or not, every single day. The only time these practices become religious is when it is promoted or denounced on the basis of religious teaching. Abstinence-only education can very well be completely secular in presentation; the argument against abstinence-only is not about church/state, it's about effectiveness.

Quoting beckolette:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)