Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The joys of explaining Greek mythology to an 8 year old

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 4 Replies
So ds is reading "The Lightening Thief", which basically has a contemporary fictional overlay on top of Greek mythology.

As a result, he is now VERY into Greek mythology.

As you may recall, the Greek gods were constantly having sex and making babies with other gods and humans.

Makes for some interesting conversations!!!!! Lol! So far, I have explained the many trysts as "dating" each other. He hasn't asked too much about the large number of children they have with multiple people! Lol!
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Hahahahahaha, yes Greek mythology is full of murder and sex. I think we forget that since we're so used to it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Quoting TexasMami409:

Hahahahahaha, yes Greek mythology is full of murder and sex. I think we forget that since we're so used to it all.

Yes - until he got into it I forgot about those aspects!!!
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

This might sound nerdy, but his interest in Greek mythology can be turned into informal History and English lessons! Here in California, students begin learning about the Greek gods in the seventh grade, I believe. You can take him to museums, art galleries, the list is endless! I am so excited for you! When my fourteen year old was going through that stage, we had so much fun and she earned an "A" in History and English. Have fun!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

This might sound nerdy, but his interest in Greek mythology can be turned into informal History and English lessons! Here in California, students begin learning about the Greek gods in the seventh grade, I believe. You can take him to museums, art galleries, the list is endless! I am so excited for you! When my fourteen year old was going through that stage, we had so much fun and she earned an "A" in History and English. Have fun!

Yes - the interest is definitely something I am encouraging and fostering!!! I need to figure out some local museums that have a decent amount of Greek inspired art in our area.

It is so neat to watch his interest in it!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN