Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Friends for my kids...

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
How do you make more friends, or get more kids to play with, for your kids, other than school and neighborhood? Their ages are 4,6- boys...my 4 year old stays home with me, and my 6 year old is in school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe enroll them in afternoon activities?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy1221
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I am trying Karate for my 6 year old, he was fine at first, about 15 min. then he started to cry, and walked off the floor...turns out he has a social anxiety thing going on. He said it was because he was scared, alot of people around. I'd hate to think anxiet is an issue already...Did you enroll your kids? What kind of activities? 

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Awww I hate that for him :( Hope it wont continue to hinder him. Maybe the physical contact scared him? My daughter is only 2, so not yet. I want to put her in tumbling/gymnastics when shes a lil older.

Quoting Cindy1221:

I am trying Karate for my 6 year old, he was fine at first, about 15 min. then he started to cry, and walked off the floor...turns out he has a social anxiety thing going on. He said it was because he was scared, alot of people around. I'd hate to think anxiet is an issue already...Did you enroll your kids? What kind of activities? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy1221
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Thank you...if he's like me he won't! ha...I do see my own anxiety, but I kinda face it head on...to get through it...it's always turns out better than I think it would be. There wasn't any physical contact...just alot of strangers...in his eyes, I guess..I don't know, we are trying it again next friday, so I guess we will see...maybe the time between will make it better? I don't know...

Quoting TexasMami409:

Awww I hate that for him :( Hope it wont continue to hinder him. Maybe the physical contact scared him? My daughter is only 2, so not yet. I want to put her in tumbling/gymnastics when shes a lil older.

Quoting Cindy1221:

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Good luck. It's always a fine line between making your kids try new things and stick to it....and not forcing them to enjoy it. At his age, I wouldnt push it if it causes him noticeable anxiety.

Quoting Cindy1221:

Thank you...if he's like me he won't! ha...I do see my own anxiety, but I kinda face it head on...to get through it...it's always turns out better than I think it would be. There wasn't any physical contact...just alot of strangers...in his eyes, I guess..I don't know, we are trying it again next friday, so I guess we will see...maybe the time between will make it better? I don't know...

Quoting TexasMami409:

Quoting Cindy1221:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy1221
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thank you. It is a fine line...teach them not to quit something they started, or helping them be open to trying something new, encouragement, not to force our wishes that we want for ourselves onto them, and not to push them into something they say they don't want to do, but you think they would enjoy it...and on and on....what we, as parents decide now, for our child, will have an impact on them in the future too...ugh...it is hard sometimes to do what is right for your child...in all aspects in raising them...make sense?

Quoting TexasMami409:

Good luck. It's always a fine line between making your kids try new things and stick to it....and not forcing them to enjoy it. At his age, I wouldnt push it if it causes him noticeable anxiety.

Quoting Cindy1221:

Quoting TexasMami409:

Quoting Cindy1221:

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely understood :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pharnam
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have to stay through his Karate class?  I've noticed a lot of kids warm up to group activities quicker when their parents are not around.  I get wanting to stay, too because I always stay through my kids' activities when I can but when my youngest started ballet, I had to leave for the first part of class and sneak back in after a bit once she was involved and forgot about mommy.

Cindy1221
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

That's something I didn't think about...maybe if we were out of the picture, it would make a difference. I'll try that friday...thank you. 

Quoting pharnam:

Do you have to stay through his Karate class?  I've noticed a lot of kids warm up to group activities quicker when their parents are not around.  I get wanting to stay, too because I always stay through my kids' activities when I can but when my youngest started ballet, I had to leave for the first part of class and sneak back in after a bit once she was involved and forgot about mommy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)