Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What's your occupation?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you work outside of being a mother, whats your occupation? Describe it if you wish. If you are a SAHM, then say that.

I am a hospice social worker. I go into nursing homes, hospitals, people's houses. I assess the patient's well being, the family's coping skills, and any other needs. I assist in end of life decisions and provide an overall emotional support. For the poor little Alzheimer's patients in the nursing home, I'm basically a friendly face to provide some socialization.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EducatedMommie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Oh boy do I have the deepest respect for you....I could never do what you do! 

Anyway...I am a low income housing property manager.  I basically run a 30-unit property in a small town in Colorado.  I handle every aspect of these apartments aside from the maintenance. 

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Thank u so much!

I remember your post about your job. Hehe.

Quoting EducatedMommie:

Oh boy do I have the deepest respect for you....I could never do what you do! 

Anyway...I am a low income housing property manager.  I basically run a 30-unit property in a small town in Colorado.  I handle every aspect of these apartments aside from the maintenance. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Right now I am looking for work, but I have my Master's in Counseling.  I just left a job as an eating disorder therapist at an inpatient facility that also treated substance addictions.  I liked it, but it was crazy stressful.  I have an interview next week with CPS.  Not sure about that, but I have a background in social work.

pharnam
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I work in an office, my title is Customer Service Sales Rep.  I actually do sales, customer service, logistics (domestic and international, hazmat and nonhazmat), some billing, inventory control, auditing, among others.  It's the same for my company as every other the past few years, people quit or are let go and rather than fill their postions everyone else simply absorbs the work.

I cannot complain because although I am hourly my supervisor allows me to come and go as I please and they provided me with an iPhone, a laptop and pay for my internet at home. With out these flexabilities I do not know how I would handle being a single mom of 3.

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I've seen that happen in my old job. More and more job responsibilites. And no raises. Booooo

Quoting pharnam:

I work in an office, my title is Customer Service Sales Rep.  I actually do sales, customer service, logistics (domestic and international, hazmat and nonhazmat), some billing, inventory control, auditing, among others.  It's the same for my company as every other the past few years, people quit or are let go and rather than fill their postions everyone else simply absorbs the work.

I cannot complain because although I am hourly my supervisor allows me to come and go as I please and they provided me with an iPhone, a laptop and pay for my internet at home. With out these flexabilities I do not know how I would handle being a single mom of 3.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Very cool! CPS, eh, couldnt do it.

Quoting anotherandree:

Right now I am looking for work, but I have my Master's in Counseling.  I just left a job as an eating disorder therapist at an inpatient facility that also treated substance addictions.  I liked it, but it was crazy stressful.  I have an interview next week with CPS.  Not sure about that, but I have a background in social work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
First i am a wife and mother, and then I run a homeless coalition. What we do is buy property and fix it, from there we get families off the street and help get the kids in schools, the parents insurance and to apply for aid, get drivers licenses and jobs or they can work on the farm we own helping out. They stay rent free for 6 months and afterwards they can sign a lease agreement with us or we can help them find somewhere to rent.
I also run a season year round business. Which means it is actually a seasonal thing but we stay open year round.
I run a fully functional farm with cows and horses and goats and chickens and rabbits and dogs and pigs and stuff like that. So needless to say I stay busy with all that and 7 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Terri on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I do shipping/receiving and deliveries

TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
WOW! You're a busy bee! That homeless program sounds amazing. I'm glad there are programs like that. Wish they were more widespread.

Quoting marchantmom06:

First i am a wife and mother, and then I run a homeless coalition. What we do is buy property and fix it, from there we get families off the street and help get the kids in schools, the parents insurance and to apply for aid, get drivers licenses and jobs or they can work on the farm we own helping out. They stay rent free for 6 months and afterwards they can sign a lease agreement with us or we can help them find somewhere to rent.

I also run a season year round business. Which means it is actually a seasonal thing but we stay open year round.

I run a fully functional farm with cows and horses and goats and chickens and rabbits and dogs and pigs and stuff like that. So needless to say I stay busy with all that and 7 kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I am a Registered Dental Hygienist. Dentists and Hygienists are the ONLY medical professions that have to prove, on a living patient, that they can correctly diagnose and successfully treat disease before they can be licensed. Don't you wish they did that with your doctor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN