Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

To all of you quitters.......on smoking that is.

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 43 Replies

What helped you stop smoking?  I'm ready to quit.  I'm so envious of all the ones that quit cold turkey.  I've used the patch before and loved it.   If I could wear the patch every day, I'd never smoke again.  I know ALOT of people that quit on the Chantrex (?).  What helped you quit?  How long did you smoke?  How long have you been a quitter?  Congratulations to all of you that have succeeded.  And all of you (us) that are still trying. 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
My husband has been smoking for YEARS. I hate it. He hates it. So he has tried to quit many many many times. And failed. He tried the gum and Welbutrin. Failed. Well, he came down with the flu the weekend after Christmas and said his cigarette tasted SO bad that he hasnt desired one since. And haven't had one. So we'll see! Best of luck to you. I realize how hard it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I've heard people suggesting accupuncture before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LDennany
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I was able to quit cold turkey. I got pneumonia really bad and had it for 3 weeks. I never smoked when I was sickbecause it always made me worse. I figured, hell, I went 3 weeks, why not try for another. I just kept trying to push it further and further. I haven't had a cigarette in 2 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Ugh I have tried so many times. I currently have an Rx for ... I can't remember the name but the damn side effects scare the shit out of me so I have not taken it. I don't think I smoke a lot but even one is way too many. And my husband smokes so it doesn't help. He has no desire to quit. I quit with both of my pregnancies and even for years in between but can't tell you HOW I did it back then. I got pneumonia last summer and I quit for a month. And one got me started again. I am a stress smoker. When work is stressful I smoke. When work is fine I don't even think about it. It's ridiculous really.

I have a co- worker that smoked for 40 years and she did accupuncture about 5 years ago and she has not touched one since. They may be my next move. I really do want to quit but don't seem to have the will power. I thought I would get my kids involved this last time and that was a mistake bc then I found myself hiding from them and that isn't fair. Good luck! I hope we both can find a way to quit and for good this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newlove4lyfe
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I smoked for 12 years a pack to 2 packs a day. My husband hated it in Hawaii he bought me an electronic cigarette (I still got my nicotine but didn't have to hear bitching and Whining about the smell and the smoke) anyhow I bought light cartarages and nicotine free and used it. I got fed up and smoked a cigarette and it was appalling. I went back to smoking (I ha a death in the family) I used my electronic cigarette again (for about a month) and I have been smoke free for almost 2 years. Prior to that I did acupuncture, patches, hypnosis, cold turkey and different cigarettes nothing worked...so I definitely recommend the electronic cigarette and good luck! If you need any info don't hesitate to ask me!
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
My husband also used the electronic cigs and they worked for a good while but he stopped. I'm not sure why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTnJT
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

What helped me the most was changing the way I thought about it....instead of telling myself I was going to "quit" I told myself I was going to become a "non-smoker".   I was actually given this piece of advice from my ODD pedi...he said..."Most of us are taught from infancy to not be a quitter...so if you tell yourself you are quitting you are setting your mind up to fight your efforts...instead tell yourself you are becoming a "non-smoker."   It worked for me....I at this point am 20 days smoke free....so I've only just started my "non smoking" journey....another thing that has helped...during those moments when I would normally go for a cig....such as after eating...I now grab a cinnamon stick....I've been told the cinnamon hits the same receptors in the brain as nicotine....that combined with holding the cinn stick like a cig and doing the whole hand to mouth thing...it helps!!

md_1015
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM
I smoked for 10+ yrs. Dh and I quit together, so it was nice to have the support. We started with the parches but after a week or so we and then stopped using them. We have been smoke free since Nov of 2010.

Good luck. It is challenging but well worth it in the end. Something else that helped us was changing routines, because we were very ritualistic with our smoking.
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I quit when I got pregnant with my first.  Stopped for 3 years, had one stressful day and picked it back up.  When we were trying for our second, I tried to quit unsuccessfully many times and I wasn't able to do it until I got the positive test.  I quit cold turkey and haven't picked up another since.  That was almost 5 years ago.  Good luck!  I know how hard it is.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I smoked for about 10 yrs. I quit cold turkey everytime I got pregnant and started back up. Well a couple months ago, for some reason, it just started giving me anxiety when I smoked. So I quit. Honestly, I probably haven't quit for good though. I might smoke one or 2 in the future if I have some drinks but I'm nursing right now so won't be for a while.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN