Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I wonder how much...

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

People with 2 or more kids of only one gender save a year on clothes.

My ds2 wears all of ds1's old clothes (happily, mind you.  Heck they look fine and are "new" to him).

Ds1 just outgrew a pair of pajamas that he tried on - I said Ok - hold on - let me go put it in ds2's drawer!  LOL!

Seriously - we buy ds1's stuff ahead of time, typically on clearance or on great sale - and then reuse it ALL with ds2!

We would have a very different situation if ds2 had been a dd!  LOL!

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimlee
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

got a daughter and son so no sharing! maybe if dh will say yes to another baby i can share :)

ArianEponae
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Only one dd here, but my sister's dd is the same age but a little bigger so we get the hand me down stuff...and her crazy in laws are constantly buying clothes. I barely buy any :-) and what I do buy is picked out by dd or for a special occasion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1wildchild
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
We'll be able to save $ on clothes for DS2 because he is due a month behind when DS1 was. If DS2 were due in the winter like DD then we wouldn't be able to reuse most of DS1's stuff because of difference in sizes/seasons.
lapcounter
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Not much I have 2 girls 18 months apart, different as night and day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I've saved quite a lot. I would have saved more, but afte kiddo number two, thought were done so after he turned nine I got rid of everything. Three months later I was pregnant with number 3. So then I started saving clothes again... Much of the baby clothes I buy are green, yellow, or other neutral colors. Our dd was the oldest and she pretty much wore overalls and tshirts. Three yrs after we had kiddie #
3, kiddie #4 came along. So I had baby things, toddler and peek things, and boys sizes 10 and up that I saved from older ds. the other day, kiddie #4 was wearing a sharp looking brooks bros. Sweater and pants that are probably from 1999. No way you could tell the age because its a classic look. Kiddie #4 almost never gets new clothes because he's always the recipient of the bins in the attic. To him they are new. Sometimes the kids don't hit the same size in the same season, then I have to buy. I also swap clothes with friends and neighbors .

Quoting Kris_PBG:

People with 2 or more kids of only one gender save a year on clothes.

My ds2 wears all of ds1's old clothes (happily, mind you.  Heck they look fine and are "new" to him).

Ds1 just outgrew a pair of pajamas that he tried on - I said Ok - hold on - let me go put it in ds2's drawer!  LOL!

Seriously - we buy ds1's stuff ahead of time, typically on clearance or on great sale - and then reuse it ALL with ds2!

We would have a very different situation if ds2 had been a dd!  LOL!

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I have5 Boys and we don't generally do handmedowns. But occasionally if there is a good coat or shirt the next one gets it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My boys have always been about the same size so I have no clue.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I guess the fact that I live in an area that is warm year round makes a huge difference. We wear shorts and tshirts year round, save a week here or there where we get a cold snap.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Quoting marchantmom06:

I have5 Boys and we don't generally do handmedowns. But occasionally if there is a good coat or shirt the next one gets it.

We tend to overbuy a bit, so things are lightly worn and always in great shape.

If it is not, we ditch it. :)
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We have it pretty easy, clothes sharing wise.  Our 4 girls are very close in age, and they take very good care of clothes so that when Kiara *10* gets Kayla's *13* things they are still very wearable.   So really, the only ones we worry about buying for are Kayla and Kaden.  Of course there's always the girls that can't wear others' jeans for whatever reason, so we have to buy those.  But shirts are a different story.  Shirts last forever around here :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN