Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Need input

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have decided that i need to market and drum up business for my tutoring business which happens mostly after school now that my home schooling tutoring kids have moved on. I have an empty nest which has a kids playroom, a library, we have a great place for kids to learn and play.

So, I'm thinking of starting a private Christian morning Kindergarten. I think I will chage somewhere between 150 and 200 a month for three hours a day four days a week.

If you could afford it, would you put your child in that kind of kindergarten. Give specific reasons if you can both for or against. I am thinking that there will be 8-10 children and 2 adults.

Thanks,

Gail

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Sounds like a great goal! My first concern as a potential customer would be how is the school how ran and managed? Does the state have any say so over what you teach?

The first pro would be the size of the class and the hands on approach that would be happening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thanks,

the state would have no control I am a retired public teacher, so the management part I will need to write up and have it all very professional. Possible start up date is Fall of 2014 so we can get things up and running. I will want high latches on all doors that do not pertain to school ie: laundry door, closets, bedroom door, and mudroom for safety reasons and liability. I know what the standards and procedures are for public schools and can write them out for the parents. But thanks for the input.

I'm hoping my helper will be my long time friend who was the learning support teacher with me in school.:)

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I personally would not, as we have a wonderful public school that my children attend.
NewMom11222011
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Hi,

Great idea!  It sounds like you would probably need to charge a bit more honestly, but that's your prerogative.  Not sure what state you're from, but in my state (MA) they would probably find a way for the state to stick their finger in the pot.  Have you confirmed with the appropriate state agencies (DOE, I'd assume) that your plan would not require state approval?

Good luck!

Quoting GELiz:

Thanks,

the state would have no control I am a retired public teacher, so the management part I will need to write up and have it all very professional. Possible start up date is Fall of 2014 so we can get things up and running. I will want high latches on all doors that do not pertain to school ie: laundry door, closets, bedroom door, and mudroom for safety reasons and liability. I know what the standards and procedures are for public schools and can write them out for the parents. But thanks for the input.

I'm hoping my helper will be my long time friend who was the learning support teacher with me in school.:)

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
It seems like you are underpricing yourself. 1800 for 9 month school year is very cheap. We paid 600 a month for 3 half days of prek.... Good luck with your business project and hope its successful.

Quoting GELiz:

Thanks,

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I do not think the state has any conrol over a private school in PA. I am looking inot the insurance which my be prohibitive. We shall see. but thanks for the  idea to look into.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Hi,

Great idea!  It sounds like you would probably need to charge a bit more honestly, but that's your prerogative.  Not sure what state you're from, but in my state (MA) they would probably find a way for the state to stick their finger in the pot.  Have you confirmed with the appropriate state agencies (DOE, I'd assume) that your plan would not require state approval?

Good luck!

Quoting GELiz:

Thanks,

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Sounds like a great idea!  Good Luck with your new venture :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)