Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What do you think makes a "great childhood"?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 35 Replies

I heard a woman say today that she is thankful her mother gave her a great childhood. It got me thinking, would my children look back someday and say they had a great childhood (not just ok, or good, but great)? Then i wondered, what exactly is a "great childhood?" I thought I'd open that idea up for discussion here on Cafe mom.

What do you think makes for a great childhood?

breastfeeding

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Play, responsibilities tempered with fun, secure family situation with lovng parents./ caregivers. Books and games read and shared with adults and kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Good question!

I would say that a great childhood has to include loving family, fun and vivid memories that are out of the ordinary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Idk, actually.... I believe lots of " touch" is a part of it... Not just hugs and kisses, but tickles, tousling thier hair as they run past you, putting lotion on them as a baby and later on the areas they can't reach. Touching their cheek when they are upset but don't want to talk, squeezing their arm when they are too " old" to be kissed in public as a private " I love you" ... I'd say that is a strong ingredient into making a " great" childhood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
_coldcoffee_
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM

whatever makes them happy without spoilin them rotten, while teachin them life lessons for use later on

elijahXmom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I have no clue, I thought I knew but; I guess what I thought would have been a great childhood is a nightmare for my son so IDK.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I'd say a strong family, where the children aren't spoiled, but are secure in the love their parents have for them, and each other, COUPLED with: living in a safe, fun place, having great experiences, chances to go & do and try many things, happy activities done with  family and friends.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel like I had a great childhood. I always knew that my parents loved me and my brothers. I never heard them fight, even during the rough times that I now know they had. We might not have had a lot of things, but we had what we needed and some of the things we wanted. We had traditions we could depend on. We knew how to play alone and together, with and without toys, indoors or out. We had chores because we were a family and we all had to help make sure our home was kept nice. Our home and our family was important to us. We were respected by each other and by our parents and we respected our parents. We were not afraid of our parents, we were afraid to disappoint them.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Great memories

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I'm not sure. I suppose just being able to embrace your children's personalities would be a good start. It's been hit or miss with my ds who is very sensitive and artistic. Now that I've learned how to work with him, I'm hoping I can give him a great childhood to look back on.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

We had parents who was always home with us, my dad worked and we drove our mom nuts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)