Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Fascinating!!!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM
  • 4 Replies

I am reading a book called LEFT neglected by Lisa Genova

that's how the title reads..

It is fascinating.  The woman sustains a traumatic brain injury and it causes Left Neglect...in that her brain does not know her left side exists, she sees nothing on her left, feels nothing on her left etc. I thought, it was a made up term for a book. I decided to google it. It really does exist.

I looked it up on more than one site besides wikipedia..LOL.

Quote:

Hemispatial neglect, also called hemiagnosiahemineglectunilateral neglectspatial neglect,unilateral visual inattention,[1] hemi-inattention[1] or neglect syndrome is a neuropsychologicalcondition in which, after damage to one hemisphere of the brain is sustained, a deficit in attention to and awareness of one side of space is observed. It is defined by the inability of a person to process and perceive stimuli on one side of the body or environment that is not due to a lack of sensation.[1]Hemispatial neglect is very commonly contralateral to the damaged hemisphere, but instances of ipsilesional neglect (on the same side as the lesion) have been reported.[2]

Fascinating, Can you imagine not realizing part of your body belonged to you or knowing to use that part of the body?  Our bodies are amazing.

What is something you learned from a novel that you did not know before.  Or am I weird and the only one that tries to find out of things exist in life that are mirrored in books. LOL

Now look to your left side and tell me, what would you not see if you had this/

Right now it would be my bedroom door with my dh walking through it to finish getting ready for work.  I would not see the door or my husband even though he is right there and the door is right there. I would not know from this angle how to get our of the room or that the door was even there. Think about it, can you imagine??

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM
That is fascinating. There are SO many odd medical conditions that I cant imagine people actually living with. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Me too. There used to be a show on TLC about such medical conditions. I don't think they air it anymore. I found it fascinating and liked that show.

Quoting TexasMami409:

That is fascinating. There are SO many odd medical conditions that I cant imagine people actually living with. :(

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

That is very interesting to read about! 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

interesting

every time I hear about something or read something I like to look it up and learn more about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)