Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Should a 1 year old boy bedshare with a 5 year old girl not related?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me about how this girl he knows moved in to a friends house and her one year old son was sharing a bed with her friends 5 year old daughter. My question is, should that be allowed? I personally feel like it shouldnt. Thoughts on this??

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Why are people so concerned about babies napping together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
It's not weird, but there's a good chance it's not the safest option. I hope they don't have to stay like that very long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the 5yr old might lose the match. One yr olds have no sense of personal space and they think its hilarious to whack you in the head with a toy.

Quoting WheelerWife:

To me, it's a safety issue. A 5 year old won't wake up if they roll over on a baby.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see anything wrong with this at all. If the five yr old doesn't mind a flailing one yr old I don't know why I would.
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, and mistake their sleeping buddy as part of the mattress. If it's a safety issue for anyone, it's the five yr old.

Quoting calsmom62:

I think the 5yr old might lose the match. One yr olds have no sense of personal space and they think its hilarious to whack you in the head with a toy.

Quoting WheelerWife:

To me, it's a safety issue. A 5 year old won't wake up if they roll over on a baby.

supastars
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
This. I think it's unsafe for the 1 year old. The 5 year old might roll over on the 1 year old and not know it.

Quoting WheelerWife:

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I wouldn't do it, doesn't seem safe to me.
alopez6684
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I really dont see an issue except that the 5 yo might roll over on the 1 yo.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

A one year old should NOT be in a regular bed for safety's sake.  But there is no other reason why it would be bad whether the five year old is related to him or not.  A one year old boy knows no difference.  You're worrying needlessly.  Tell her it's safer for the baby to not be in a regular bed.  She might want to reconsider the five-year-pld's feelings also.  The girl is old enough to have a bed of her own and she would probably be happier not sleeping with a baby who undoubtedly wets the bed at times.  This is a bad idea but not for the reason you're thinking.

ryanmomof4
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I would say it's not safe. The baby could fall off the bed, or the 5 year old could roll over on the baby. At those ages though, any other "weirdness" wouldn't be going on unless there were other... problems with the familie(s).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN