Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

When the temperatures are in the single digits

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 16 Replies
Should school be cancelled? Because some kids have to walk to school in the freezing cold.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasMami409
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I think it depends on the local district's discretion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellymarie323
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I live in a walking district and we have had school all week. I usually drive my dd so it's no different to me. I didn't see many kids walking this week though, so their parents must have drove them to school. The ones I did see walking were older high school students.
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Depends on location I guess. I'm in Colorado and when I was in school it hardly ever got called off.
SaGe_Ed
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM

It never was when I was a kid.  It was all based on whether there was ice/snow or not.  And even then...  I had to walk to school, I just had to be bundled in my snow gear (snowsuit, coat, layers, hat, scarf, gloves, mittens, etc.).  But I grew up in IL and we take single digit winter weather as a given.  If they canceled school every time it happened there'd be more days off during the winter than days kids actually went to school.  I lived in TX for a while tho and it was different there, there was a tiny ice storm and everything shut down. 

pamelakeller
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

It depends on the situation.  Here in NM we had 2 hour delays because of the freezing temperatures, as people were dealing with icy roads, and frozen water pipes.  The only day we have school cancellations, is when there is a lot of snow (so they cancel it the first thing in the morning), or we are expecting a lot of snow (so they cancel it the day before).  As for walkers, we still have kids that walk in the cold weather, however I drive my kids when the weather is bad or icy.  They walk when it gets warm outside!!

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Not single digits here in MN.....it was 30 below last night and wind chill was worse and school was right on schedule.

punkasscanuck
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM

i hear ya lady. im in ontario and its been colder than a whores heart. the schools however, did have indoor recess. 

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

Not single digits here in MN.....it was 30 below last night and wind chill was worse and school was right on schedule.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
We had a principal here who called indoor recess at 40...she was from California. She was set straight.
bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I guess it depends on location..? I've never lived in an area where it really gets cold.
Jebekarue
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I grew up in South Alabama and we got snow days for a dusting :)  I remember one Christmas when I was little it got down to 0, my dad worked for an oil company and he had to go to work to make sure the pipes didn't freeze. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN