Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of smaller than average kids?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 18 Replies
Does anyone have very small for their age kids? My dd is 8 and soo tiny. Shes 43.5 inches and 39lbs. She was just seen by an endocrinologist and will need blood work done. I have heard of growth hormone shots but im really not sure about them. Anyone else have tiny kids? Just curious what kinds of things could be wrong. Sidenote I am 4'11 86lbs so she could just be small from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
foofoo24
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey, I personally don't have small kids. But I do have a cousin that wad always way too small for his age. He's 16 now and they finally figured it out. He has to be a Gluten free diet. He was eating gluten for years before they figured it out. Ever since he's been on the new gluten free diet he's grown taller. For tiger longest everyone thought he was small because his parents are small. You might want to ask your pediatrician if that can be a possibility. You never know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
foofoo24
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Hey, I personally don't have small kids. But I do have a cousin that wad always way too small for his age. He's 16 now and they finally figured it out. He has to be a Gluten free diet. He was eating gluten for years before they figured it out. Ever since he's been on the new gluten free diet he's grown taller. For tiger longest everyone thought he was small because his parents are small. You might want to ask your pediatrician if that can be a possibility. You never know.
1boy1girlmama
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not quite 4'10. My mom was just 1/2 inch taller than me, unfortuntely it's just genetics. I never made made it even onto the chart. My son is on the small side, not quite as small as your daughter but little for his age. It's not too obvious now though because we held him out of school for a year b/c he has a late summer birthday. He is one of the oldest in his class and one of the shortest boys. He just grew into a size 6 pant this year. 

My daughter is 3.5 wearing size 4, and comes up to my son's shoulder. She is actually a bit tall. My hubby is 6'0 though. Genes are weird things. 

I just tell my kids we are who we are.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

yes my son is 10 yrs old and 55 lbs. my daughter is 9 weeks and 9 lbs, both of my kids small for their age. but their pediatrician is not concerned at all. they are growing and getting bigger. just at their own pace. they are both very healthy. just on the small side. nothing wrong with that. me and my husband were both on small side growing up too. just who we are. 

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd is 3.5 she weighs I think 28 lbs. They did bloodwork on her before she was small. Like me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treystiredmommy
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a 4 year old who has yet to break 30 pounds.  He grew like a weed as a baby and stopped really suddenly.  His pedi was worried and did blood work.  Nothing came back out of range. So he is healthy just tiny.  I would wait til you get the results back and see what the doctor has to say and then do your own research before you decide.  Don't stress about what you don't have control over.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 3 boys that have always been on the 30th percentile for height and weight, or lower. Then my youngest has always been on the 85th percentile or higher. Lol.
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 5'6".  My mom was 5'7", dad 6', sister 5'10".  Husband is 6'4".  His mom was 5'1", his dad was 5'7", his sister 5'4", his brother 6'.  Our older dd is 5'10"(and a 32A), younger dd is BARELY 5'2"(and a 36C).  As long as there is nothing medically wrong, don't worry about it. 

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are all the opposite. So not too sure..I'd think genetics is probably a factor though.
Angeleyes_6
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 10 and just got into size 8 clothes. The doctors aren't worried because his height and weight go up every year and he is proportionate. He is 54 pounds. Me and his dad are not very big people so I think its just in his genes to be smaller.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)