I know this may sound like venting and it probably is, but awareness has to start somewhere. I recently found out that a minor allergy that had emerged following gallbladder removal has exploded into life threatening proportions. I don't know how many here have had to deal with food allergies either personal or nearest and dearest, but this isn't exactly new to me. My sister has the same allergy, though we aren't sure just how close the two are, yet. I've been hospitalized twice in less than a week with restricted breathing, stomach rejecting the corn, and hives that made me want to rip at my own skin just to stop the itching. Unfortunately, corn is everywhere. It's a sweetener, a preservative, a fuel source, a chemical reactant, a standard ingredient. Even medications have it. I can't drink regular sodas or most pre-packaged dinners. Nearly everything I eat is going to have to be made at home to ensure it isn't contaminated and restaurants don't even think about it as a possible allergy. They post signs about nuts and shellfish (understandable because of the severity and sensitivity), but no one thinks about corn. It just gets so frustrating when even the medical community is ignorant of the possibility aside from allergists and those who already have patients with the allergy. Admittedly, contact, proximity, and inhalation aren't really a concern, so it doesn't reach the level of nuts and shellfish, but the sheer saturation of it makes it pretty close. Like I said, this is probably just ranting, but I needed to vent somewhere (and the mobile site kept deleting what I typed last night). Thanks for listening to a frustrated mom with ever increasing budget concerns.