Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

So frustrating...

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

I know this may sound like venting and it probably is, but awareness has to start somewhere. I recently found out that a minor allergy that had emerged following gallbladder removal has exploded into life threatening proportions. I don't know how many here have had to deal with food allergies either personal or nearest and dearest, but this isn't exactly new to me. My sister has the same allergy, though we aren't sure just how close the two are, yet. I've been hospitalized twice in less than a week with restricted breathing, stomach rejecting the corn, and hives that made me want to rip at my own skin just to stop the itching. Unfortunately, corn is everywhere. It's a sweetener, a preservative, a fuel source, a chemical reactant, a standard ingredient. Even medications have it. I can't drink regular sodas or most pre-packaged dinners. Nearly everything I eat is going to have to be made at home to ensure it isn't contaminated and restaurants don't even think about it as a possible allergy. They post signs about nuts and shellfish (understandable because of the severity and sensitivity), but no one thinks about corn. It just gets so frustrating when even the medical community is ignorant of the possibility aside from allergists and those who already have patients with the allergy. Admittedly, contact, proximity, and inhalation aren't really a concern, so it doesn't reach the level of nuts and shellfish, but the sheer saturation of it makes it pretty close. Like I said, this is probably just ranting, but I needed to vent somewhere (and the mobile site kept deleting what I typed last night). Thanks for listening to a frustrated mom with ever increasing budget concerns.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caroldoesnails
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I can understand your vent. I have an allergy to wheat and gluten.(Celiac disease) They are in just about every product in the grocery store.  My suggestion would be find support groups. they can be a great resource to find foods you can eat. I found a co op locally where I can purchase wheat and gluten free items inexpensively since they buy them in bulk.  If you find products you like join their newsletters, they often send coupons.

I  Jamberry Nails.
I do my nails with hairdryer. How do you do yours? 
My Facebook Fan Page, Request a free sample

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I can completely understand your frustrations.  90% of corn products are genetically modified and more and more people are allergic to them.  It's not good for us!  You are also going to have to start watching the beef that you eat.  So many cows are fed genetically modified corn now instead of the grass that used to make up all of their diets.  Depending on the severity of your allergy, you might have to switch to grass fed beef only.  

No one stops to think of the effects that all these hormones and GMOs are having on our children and us.  I know that it might seem a little more expensive at this moment, but when you start cutting out the junk, your body starts working more efficiently.  My family has started to eat less of the real foods than we were of the junk because your body breaks them down differently. 

Good luck with your adjustment period. 

gdsTX
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Some things I learned from my sister this weekend when she gave me a crash course in what to look out for, MSG is a corn based ingredient and anyone who has issues with it should look into the possibility of a corn allergy. If you have a lot of acne breakouts around your mouth and forehead that don't every really get better, look into mild food allergies. Those areas are tied to irritation in your intestines, so finding the food that is irritating you and cutting back or cutting it out could very well help you clear up.

Thanks for the support and the suggestions. I've been looking around online for support groups and forums to help me find out what may or may not be safe (popcorn of all things isn't GMO and generally considered safe), how to safely test my tolerance levels, and what to strictly avoid. I'm lucky to have my sister close by to help me through this and I can help her since she's having to get used to a new area with new levels in products that were once safe for her.

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear, it must be frustrating. One a good note corn is so bad for you anyways, but you are correct about it being in everything though... : /
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdsTX
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

This health crazed society we've got is in some ways making things worse. Cane sugar may cause diabetes and weight gain, but it's healthier than syrups and artificial sweeteners. I understand that some people have problems processing fats and such (as mentioned, my gallbladder is gone), but maybe we need to make more options available for those who don't want the unhealthy cheimcals that are actually affordable.

I haven't had any problems with beef, yet. I'm watching for it though. Upset stomach is usually the first symptom.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I can completely understand your frustrations.  90% of corn products are genetically modified and more and more people are allergic to them.  It's not good for us!  You are also going to have to start watching the beef that you eat.  So many cows are fed genetically modified corn now instead of the grass that used to make up all of their diets.  Depending on the severity of your allergy, you might have to switch to grass fed beef only.  

No one stops to think of the effects that all these hormones and GMOs are having on our children and us.  I know that it might seem a little more expensive at this moment, but when you start cutting out the junk, your body starts working more efficiently.  My family has started to eat less of the real foods than we were of the junk because your body breaks them down differently. 

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My gallbladder is gone too.  I take a digestive enzyme and bile salts daily too keep from gaining weight.  I gained 70 pounds after my surgery and I am still working my ass off....literally! 

Quoting gdsTX:

This health crazed society we've got is in some ways making things worse. Cane sugar may cause diabetes and weight gain, but it's healthier than syrups and artificial sweeteners. I understand that some people have problems processing fats and such (as mentioned, my gallbladder is gone), but maybe we need to make more options available for those who don't want the unhealthy cheimcals that are actually affordable.

I haven't had any problems with beef, yet. I'm watching for it though. Upset stomach is usually the first symptom.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM

You poor girl!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Wow!  I hope that you can find something that works for you. It sounds like you have some very good advice here :)

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Look at the allergy network, google it. It has a lot of information that can help you.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Oh and good luck. That is very hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN