Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The "talk"

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

My middle child Hannah is 9 and............Oh dear.......I just had THE TALK with her. She asked me some questions and I knew it had to be done. She understood and asked good questions. I explained that this stays between us and she doesn't share this information with her friend. I kept it simple and the basic facts. I think I am proud of me. I handled that well, no blushing or embarrassment. It happened so naturally. We prayed afterwards and talked about God's plans for girls lives. It was so impromptu and the other two and Daddy aren't home...so I think this was the appointed time. I have known for some time this was wandering around in her mind. We talked about hygiene as well. Still as basic as I kept it, I wasn't ready for her to ask these questions........sigh. They grow up so fast. I think someone probably said something at school that had her curious. I would rather handle it and talk with her while she is curious than have her try to figure it out alone or based on facts others may give her. Bitter sweet. My little girl is growing up, but our talk was special.

Now why do I feel like sobbing. She asked all the questions too, how the baby gets there all of the questions. I still kept it simple with proper names and terms. She has had a little info for a while, but I was waiting for her to let me know she was ready for the talk. She let me know tonight by her questions. I just asked her, what's on your mind lately? LOL.......she said "I've been wondering some things".......and it was launched. LOL

I am not ready for my babies to grow up. LOLShe knows it all now, how the baby gets there, how it gets out, eggs, sperm, what to expect before, during and after a period. 

My mother told me none of that. Now I obviously didn't go into great detail about the sex act it self, kept that basic but with enough info she knows it takes two.   I also used our foundation of faith to talk about modesty and marriage etc etc.  

One more kid to go to know the facts of life. But she is 6.  I wonder when she will want to know. LOL

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sjump25
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Awwww!  I am not looking forward to that talk.  So what kind of questions did she ask? 

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

How does a baby grow?

How does the baby get there?

How does the baby get out?

Because I had c sections I had to explain most women had them come out of their vaginas out of a place made for that that was different than where pee came from. Mymother didn't tell me that either.........I thought I was deformed until I got to college.........smh.

To name a few.  I told her babies grow from an egg from mommy and a sperm from daddy since she wasn't satisfied with the more elementary answer. How she said. I said well mommy and daddy put their parts together in a special way and it happens that way. So far she was happy with that answer. When she gets older she can no more. I was glad she was happy with that answer. She thought it was a bit gross as she made a face but she said "oh cool". I told her in our faith we plan to be married when that happens because it makes life easier that way.  I told her we do not judge people if they have a baby outside of marriage but that it is the easier plan if you are married and wait until marriage.  I dont want her juding others but I want her to know our faith holds that is the best plan. I told her if she ever has feelings she doesn't undertand or question to come to me.  

She asked about periods and I told her what to expect. I made sure I told her that girls have different stuff come out of their bodies and it is all normal. My mother never told me that you have ovulation fluid and I thought i was broken.  I seriously thought something was wrong with me until I was 20 something asked a friend and read about  it. SAd really. I do not want my dd living in fear.  I explained you have a period once a month etc.  Kept it pretty clean and simple though.

Quoting sjump25:

Awwww!  I am not looking forward to that talk.  So what kind of questions did she ask? 

bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my, I'm not ready for any of that!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't either but I'd rather her get the right info from me than to not have the proper info and be worried or scared about it.

Quoting bigmama423:

Oh my, I'm not ready for any of that!!!

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!  They grow up so fast!  You did great!

Thelmama
by Thelma on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Thank you.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you! She will keep talking to you because you handled it well. My daughter had some questions when she was in second grade, and I handled it like you did, and then a few days later we were driving in the car and she says to me out of the blue "I'm probably not going to get married" "Hmm, why not?" "Well, I don't like that whole "penis in the vagina thing" ha! Then I had to explain that it actually felt pretty nice.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

sidesplittinglaughter

That is adorable. LOL LOL LOL and thanks she hasn't asked any more questions yet. 

Quoting Lindalou907:

Good for you! She will keep talking to you because you handled it well. My daughter had some questions when she was in second grade, and I handled it like you did, and then a few days later we were driving in the car and she says to me out of the blue "I'm probably not going to get married" "Hmm, why not?" "Well, I don't like that whole "penis in the vagina thing" ha! Then I had to explain that it actually felt pretty nice.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Sounds like you did great.  And she sounded very mature about it too.

I had that talk with my older girls when they were 9 and 7.  I know 7 could be thought as too young, but I thought I would get them both done together lol  I tried to tell them as best as possible without getting too into intimate details lol

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Good job mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)