Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

colposcopy??

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

hello i am wondering if anyone has ever had a colposcopy... I am supposed to have one in a few months and i am very scared about.. I also have to have a biopsy done.. My cells came back abnormal and high grade..Ive done alot of research on the internet but would like some info from ladies who have had one done.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IHeartDraven
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I did. It's been quite a few years ago. I was biopsied at the same time as well
It starts off a lot like a pap...they used an iodine solution that was a little uncomfortable but not bad. The biopsied pinched a little but again nothin bad. I took a little ib profen
I ha some cramping and mild bleeding after.
I ended up having a LEEP done a few weeks later and I've never had another abnormal pap

If you have any questions just ask
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Know nothing about...
Good luck though!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM

My sister had several done, she has cervical cancer.  She says that it's pretty painless and takes about 10 min.

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. In the past 2 years I had 5. Reason? Because I was diagnosed the same as you. She was talking about the LEEP procedure or removing my cervix, etc. I wanted to hold off and see if we could 'cure' this thing.

I removed all chemicals from he home, all BPA's (that's a key one), only ate organic food, made most of my own food, bought everything I could from local farmers. I took Vitamin D every day. I smoked a specific strain of MJ (afghan koosh)...2 puffs, 4 out of 7 nights/week. GONE!!! :o)

momma1225
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Thanks Ladies monkey

aJiG827
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Don't be nervous. If you go to a good dr, they should help you try to relax.The colpo itself is just looking at your cervix through (what we used to call) "vagina binoculars". lol It's like a microscope. They'll spray your cervix with vinegar to see if any abnormal cells turn white. If they're concerned at that point, they'll do some biopsies. The biopsies feel kind of like a pap, but a little more intense. Since it's a couple months away, and you're already worried, you could get super worked up about it, but it's best not to. Just remember to breathe. I used to assist in performing them frequently. Just make sure you've eaten something before you go in for your appt. I can't tell you how many women threw up/passed out because they didn't eat before hand. 

emilyelephant
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much like a pap smear but longer and the biopsy is a little pinch, uncomfortable of course, but not painful.  I spotted for a few days.  I was sceduled for a LEEP but found out I was pregnant a few days before, and my pap during pregnancy was normal, so it wasn't resceduled

merryvoice
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM
When I first got married, I had pre-cancerous cells, so I had colposcopies for six months. It was 12 years ago so I don't remember a lot, but I do remember discomfort. It helps to relax, if you can manage to do so, and take Ibuprofen beforehand. Good luck!
momma1225
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

ok thanks alot...I was supposed to have one done while pregnant but chickened out ofcoarse because i didnt know if it would effect baby... but should they of done a pap at my six week pp appt to follow up and see if everything went back to normal.?

Quoting aJiG827:

Don't be nervous. If you go to a good dr, they should help you try to relax.The colpo itself is just looking at your cervix through (what we used to call) "vagina binoculars". lol It's like a microscope. They'll spray your cervix with vinegar to see if any abnormal cells turn white. If they're concerned at that point, they'll do some biopsies. The biopsies feel kind of like a pap, but a little more intense. Since it's a couple months away, and you're already worried, you could get super worked up about it, but it's best not to. Just remember to breathe. I used to assist in performing them frequently. Just make sure you've eaten something before you go in for your appt. I can't tell you how many women threw up/passed out because they didn't eat before hand. 

md_1015
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM
It isnt quite a scary as it seems. The worst part of the whole thing is a little burning discomfort from the iodine solution they use. But that is really nothing. Just take ibuprofen about a half hour before and you should be perfectly fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)