Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

hello i am wondering if anyone has ever had a colposcopy... I am supposed to have one in a few months and i am very scared about.. I also have to have a biopsy done.. My cells came back abnormal and high grade..Ive done alot of research on the internet but would like some info from ladies who have had one done.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (11-19):
aJiG827
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I'm not sure. I can't remember if we ever did paps at 6 wk pp checks. 

Quoting momma1225:

ok thanks alot...I was supposed to have one done while pregnant but chickened out ofcoarse because i didnt know if it would effect baby... but should they of done a pap at my six week pp appt to follow up and see if everything went back to normal.?

Quoting aJiG827:

Don't be nervous. If you go to a good dr, they should help you try to relax.The colpo itself is just looking at your cervix through (what we used to call) "vagina binoculars". lol It's like a microscope. They'll spray your cervix with vinegar to see if any abnormal cells turn white. If they're concerned at that point, they'll do some biopsies. The biopsies feel kind of like a pap, but a little more intense. Since it's a couple months away, and you're already worried, you could get super worked up about it, but it's best not to. Just remember to breathe. I used to assist in performing them frequently. Just make sure you've eaten something before you go in for your appt. I can't tell you how many women threw up/passed out because they didn't eat before hand. 

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Haven't heard of it, but good luck!

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
It's isn't anything to panic about . Take a deep breath. I have been thru it three times ! It wasn't to bad at all. I didn't like the biopsy part it feels like being pinched down there and lasts for like 2 sec. I did end up getting Leep procedure for removed of cancerous cells so far no abnormal pap smears since ( thanks heavens)
dx1066
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I had one done 3 months after I had my daughter.  I had a cancer scare, but everything came back fine.  The worst part was the vinegar.  It burned a little, and even that wasn't bad at all.  Everyone is different though, and my Dr did warn me that it could be uncomfortable.  After the nightmarishly horrible birth I had though, it was a piece of cake.

sjump25
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My mom just had one done.  She said it was not as bad as she was anticipating.  Good luck to you!

momma1225
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Thanks Ladies... What is a LEEP procedure..?

Quoting Bonneata:

It's isn't anything to panic about . Take a deep breath. I have been thru it three times ! It wasn't to bad at all. I didn't like the biopsy part it feels like being pinched down there and lasts for like 2 sec. I did end up getting Leep procedure for removed of cancerous cells so far no abnormal pap smears since ( thanks heavens)

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I have not - but here is a bump for you.  Good luck!

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

loop elctrosurgIcal excision procedure

uses a low-voltage electrical current to remove abnormal tissues of the cervix. It has an advantage, therefore, over the destructive techniques (CO2 laser and cryocautery) in that an intact tissue sample for analysis can be obtained. LEEP also is popular because it is inexpensive, simple, and typically has few risks or side effects. LEEP is also known as large loop excision of the transformation zone . 

This is the next step if they find cells that need to be removed after your biopsy. If you would like more info go to webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/loop elctrosurgIcal excision procedure.

Quoting momma1225:

Thanks Ladies... What is a LEEP procedure..?

Quoting Bonneata:

batmansgirl
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I've had one. It's no big deal, only a little uncomfortable and there will be cramping after. But compared to the cramps while having my period it wasn't to bad. Wear loose comfortable pants and a pad, there will be discharge after.  Good luck, my last pap everything was normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)