Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minivan Drivers! Advice Needed. *Edit*

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello! In a few months, my husband and I will be looking at minivans. I've been told by a lot of people that they really like the Town & Country, and that's one I was looking at anyway. I would like to know what you drive and how you like it. What are the features you love? What are the features you hate?

EDIT: My goodness, I got some good responses from you ladies! I really appreciate all your input. Taking the time to let me know how you like (and dislike) your minivans means a lot to me. This is a huge purchase, and one that is extremely important to my family. 

thank you

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I don't drive it any more, but I did have a Town & Country and would recommend it.

redneckmama2
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I currently have a 99 dodge caravan and don't much care for it as it does not have a lot of space. However the newer dodge grand caravans are NICE!

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

If a minivan is all you can afford, then get it.  Personally, I think the Suburban is a much smarter purchase, or even a cross-over.  We've had Blazers, and then Suburbans for 30 years.

WheelerWife
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I have an '05 Kia Sedona. It's had its issues but has been a good vehicle overall. It seats 7. 

I wish it had the stow and go seats and automatic sliding doors, but it gets our family from place to place. :0) 

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We had a Ford Windstar for awhile, but traded it in the SECOND the kids were old enough.  What I liked were the automatic doors and the captain's seats (I think that is what they are called when it is not a bench in the second row).  What I did NOT like was how far back the 3rd row was and how little space there actually was in the "trunk."  In general, I hated having a minivan and am glad that I will never have to have one again. 

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
We drive a Pontiac Montana (I think that's what its called. We have 4 in carseats and its still pretty roomy. I love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

We went with a Mazda 5, which is a "mini-minivan".

It has 3 rows of 2 and has the mileage of a large sedan instead of a minivan.

Love it so far!

Jebekarue
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM

We have a 98 caravan.  we have had it for 3 years.  granted it has just over 200k miles it has its issues.  I love the sliding doors opening on both sides.  with the 2 rows of seats in the back we can fit my sons tuba in the very back but that is it :( 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a mazda MPV, It's been pretty good. It has captains seats in the middle which are nice if you want to separate the kids! Some people are just snobs about not wanting to drive a minivan but honestly you get so much more for your money! A car gets you from point A to point B and only depreciates over time. No need to spend too much. Do your homework regarding price before you go shopping, know what a good price is and don't budge till you get it!

Aloysious
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a Honda Odyssey.  It's fully loaded with the automatic doors and liftgate.  I absolutely love it-it seats 8, has decent cargo room, the 3rd row folds flat, and there's a roomy locking storage space in the second row floor.  It is comfortable to drive long distances, and gets pretty decent highway miles between fill-ups.

The only thing I would change is I wish I could add a twin turbo or a supercharger-an extra 100 horses would make this van the bomb.  I also don't like the fact that the automatic doors will not open unless the vehicle is in park-annoying, but necessary, I suppose.  And then, when you push the button to close it, and then start driving off, the door won't shut completely if you go too fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)