Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I don't think I'm wrong about this. EDIT

When my husband was a kid he broke his arm. He was 3 (he thinks, not sure the exact age.) He fell off the slide. Now, here is where our opinions differ. He finds the following funny while I find it awful. After he fell, his mom gave him a bath before taking him to the hospital. His arm was broken but she wanted him to be presentable in stead of worrying about her child's pain. It bothers me that he just thinks it's funny. It isn't funny to me. Who cares if he was dirty? He was playing in the park. His arm was broken and she should have immediately taken him to the hospital regardless of his cleanliness. Do you agree with me, or him? Is it funny, or not?

EDIT: HE JUST SAID HE WAS APPARENTLY 1 NOT 3. OOOPS MY BAD.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Replies (91-100):
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Superdad, lol.

Quoting hayliedlr:

yeah I hate them too.  My family was just getting home from church and I was about 7 and stood in an ant hill and they started crawling all over me and biting me.  I started screaming and my dad swooped me up and threw me in the tub to get them off of me.  I didn't need the doc or anything but they hurt bad

my dad became my hero right there lol

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Ugh. I hate fireants. My 1yo crawled through an ant hill that came up over night. We were plaing in the front ard. He cried and I ran and the damn ants were all over his leg. I swatted them off and they tried to hide in between his toes and any little crease they could find. Luckily, he didn't swell and I put some anti itch cream and he didn't need the hospital. I did take him to the doctor and they gave me some cream, but I just hate those ants. Sorry. That was my ant rant. Over now!

Quoting hayliedlr:

Just remembering something,  a friend of mines dd, she was about 2, got bit up by fire ants.  I mean head to toe and I told my friend to just take her in her diaper.  That's what she was wearing when she was playing.  The little girl was starting to swell.  My friend said heck no, she went and cleaned her up and put her clothes on.  Shirt, pants, socks, shoes etc.. Later I asked her why and she said that she was afraid of CPS.  It made sense but still seemed strange to put her shoes and socks on her especially if her feet were swelled.  This was about 15 years ago. 

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I think I would make my husband buy me something nice to make up for that.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Yep, she was! His birthday was the day before mine. Mom had made a huge deal, big food dishes , heavy cleaning, guests ... The whole shebang. She knew in the party that I was "knocking " they laid down at ten. She woke him up at ten thirty and told him about the contractions. His response? " oh , Linda, can't it wait? I'm soo tired!"

Mom wandered the house contracting and at midnight, basically shoved him out of bed, Get up! It's midnight. Take me now or I'm calling an ambulance! Hmmm how much does that cost???
He whined again, I believe she was close to beating him. :-) He finally got her there, and she was in active labor for quite sometime since I was born at one thirty seven that afternoon.
She does laugh, but I do here the resentment in her voice mixed with the laughter.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

It was a long time ago, so now they can laugh about it. I can see your point. 

I would have been pissed if I was your mom. lol

Quoting hollydaze1974:

It's funny THIS far into the future. It's all on context. Families can make questionable decisions when we are kids, as long as there isn't any permanent damage, they do become funny stories later... That's how it works.

I mean my dad made my mother wait until midnight to go to the hospital when she'd been in active labor since 8 that night, but he didn't "want to pay for an extra night at the hospital"

Lol, yeah sounds pretty harsh , but I have a bazillion stories of my dad's penny pinching ways... They are funny, although I assume my mother was highly pissed, she laughs now.

JTriches
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I agree with you.  Perhaps he has to view it as funny or it would be abuse.  No child wants tothink of their parent like that

coala
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom would finish cooking dinner and have us eat before taking my sister or I to the ER.  I don't find it odd.  She would hand us an ice pack and tell us to sit down while she finsihed up.  I think it doesn't really matter.  If is arm is broken it will still be broken in an hour when they get to the hospital.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Possibly.

Quoting JTriches:

I agree with you.  Perhaps he has to view it as funny or it would be abuse.  No child wants tothink of their parent like that

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I know each parent is different, but I could never do this with my kids. I'd be way too worried about them being in pain, especially them being so little.

Quoting coala:

My mom would finish cooking dinner and have us eat before taking my sister or I to the ER.  I don't find it odd.  She would hand us an ice pack and tell us to sit down while she finsihed up.  I think it doesn't really matter.  If is arm is broken it will still be broken in an hour when they get to the hospital.

Kim042269
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Not even remotely funny, and actually pretty weird. Who does that?

Jslee-8705-
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Not funny. Maybe more along the lines of cruel. My main priority would be getting my child the help she needs as fast as possible. Not if she was "presentable" or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM

There are tiny fractures, when you're not even sure that it's broken at all and there are big breaks where the bone is practically coming through the skin, I think it's kind of a funny family story.

Shlamoof
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Yeah, not funny.  I don't get why... like WTH?  I can't imagine taking my kid home to clean them first O.o

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)