Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

MIL bullying my nephew

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have a 7 year old nephew who is a little overweight.  He definitely has mooblies, but he has never been a real active little boy.  I'm definitely not condoning the fact that he is overweight, but I would never ride him about it.  I was talking to my his mother (my sil) today, and she told me that my nephew doesn't want to see my mil (his grandmother) anymore.  I guess a couple of weekends ago, they went to mil's house, and she constatnly made fun of his man boobs.  She even went so far as to buy him a training bra when they went to Wal-Mart.  So now, I have a 7 year old nephew who wants to go on a diet.  He no longer wants to be around his own grandmother.  This is none of my business, but I have an 8 month old daughter. who will have to deal with her bullying at some point too.  Am I wrong to be upset about this?  Do you consider this bullying?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

definitely bullying. And seven year olds shouldn't diet, maybe eat healthier and be more active, but he should be concerned about playing and school and friends not thinking he needs to lose weight. MIL is way out of line, but since it's not your kids you can't say anything to her. If my MIL or anyone else did that to me kid I would flip.

SparklingHope
by Melissa on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM

That is definitely bullying and messed up that your mil would do that to her grandson! ..not much you really can do though, but encourage the mother to take better care of her son's health and to encourage that she stand up for him when his grandmother is around..

KRIZZ25
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM
thats not a true grandma..i would have a chat wth her .tell her u cant see him again till u apologize and dont do it again .
sjump25
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

That is definitely uncalled for and wrong on Grandma's part.  I think your SIL should talk to her.  

AmericanChild82
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Wow, I'd be putting granny in her place. You're are definitely NOT wrong about being upset by this and HELL YES I consider it bullying.

dx1066
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The hardest part of it is, that is mother is VERY overweight too, and she looks at him and sees nothing wrong with him.  I love my nephew to death, but he is overweight.  It's not something he should be worried about.  Right now, his mother is in charge of what he eats because she is cooking the meals, so I'm kind of thinking that she could control his weight to some extent just by what she feeds him.  SIL said she is going to talk to MIL about it, but SIL is missing the point that yes, MIL was horribly wrong for what she did, but on the other hand, nephew is overweight.  I've never insinuated to my nephew that he was overweight.  When he is at my house, he doesn't get pop or bad-for-you snacks.  Neither does his very skinny brother.  I tell them I wasn't allowed to have stuff like that when I was younger, especially pop, so that is just a rule in my house.  They eat the healthy meals I prepare, and they don't complain about it.  I guess there are two problems here.  MIL bullying nephew about a very real problem, and SIL denying that there is a problem at all.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

That is mentally abusive and most definitely bullying - there is NO WAY I would allow a family member to treat a child like that.  Not cool...

GELiz
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Tell MIL that you heard this, and really think it is inappropriate and why.

redneckmama2
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

That is definitely bullying and I would not allow her near my child again! I would not allow someone in my childrens family make fun of them like that. 

Bax
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Absolutely, MIL's behavior is pathetic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)