Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL bullying my nephew

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 7 year old nephew who is a little overweight.  He definitely has mooblies, but he has never been a real active little boy.  I'm definitely not condoning the fact that he is overweight, but I would never ride him about it.  I was talking to my his mother (my sil) today, and she told me that my nephew doesn't want to see my mil (his grandmother) anymore.  I guess a couple of weekends ago, they went to mil's house, and she constatnly made fun of his man boobs.  She even went so far as to buy him a training bra when they went to Wal-Mart.  So now, I have a 7 year old nephew who wants to go on a diet.  He no longer wants to be around his own grandmother.  This is none of my business, but I have an 8 month old daughter. who will have to deal with her bullying at some point too.  Am I wrong to be upset about this?  Do you consider this bullying?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Replies (21-22):
dx1066
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM

The reason I don't feel comfortable is because It's all my husband's side, and I am not very close.  His mother would say it's not my place, and that I am meddling in their family.  You would have to understand the drama that comes with his family.  My SIL said she would say something, and I believe her that she will.  You can bet if MIL brings it up to me, I will tell her what I think, but this is not a close family, and MIL doesn't get along with SIL the way it is.  DH wants me to let it go and let SIL take care of it.  We saw them last night (minus MIL), and SIL said she was going to call her this week.  I am not close to SIL at all, but I love my nephews dearly.  Everyone has known MIL is crazy for some time.  She has had a rough life, and she was starting to get it together, but lately we are beginning to wonder again.  Her two sons have no problem cutting her out of their lives, sad as that may be.  They've done it before .  Sometimes it's the only thing to make her wake up and smell the coffee.  My husband is going to have a talk with her about how she treats her grand kids though.  She acts like a drill sergeant.  We don't want that for our daughter when she gets older.  We want her to understand her place is as a grandmother.  She messed up raising her own kids, and we think now she is trying to raise ours.

Quote:

Why can't she say anything? It IS OP's family... HER nephew, HER mil. I'd so stick up for this child. In fact, I stand up for my nephew on a regular basis because I just don't see him as the manipulator ( almost 16) the mil thinks he is and it angers me.
I think OP has every right to have a heart to heart with mil. I agree with nephew.... Stay the hell away from her!
Family is family.., by saying " not my kid, not my problem" you are inferring that you won't help him or his mom in their time of need.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

She is bullying him.  That's really sad.  Poor kid...he doesn't need his grandma buying him a bra either for goodness sake!  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)