Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What kind of religions are out there? I would like to find out as much as possible about different religions.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

My SO and I were talking this morning about going to church.

We aren't married but plan on getting married one day. He is a Catholic but hasn't been to church since he was a boy.

I was a Catholic but then turned Christian but I haven't gone to church since my son was baptised when he was 9 months old, he's now 7 years old.

We are thinking about going to a baptist church or a presbyterian church but we don't know anything about them.

Are there any groups on this site that would help me find the answers i'm looking for?

I know that there are sites that aren't reliable and I don't know where to find reliable information about this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NewMom11222011
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, and Episcopalian are what comes to my mind as a "recovering" Baptist married to a "recovering" Catholic.  These are the denominations that blend more of the ceremony of Catholicism with Protestant belief systems.  You might also want to check out non-denominational churches.  My suggestion is to just visit churches in your area after speaking with the minister of the congregation.  You can learn a lot about the church just by talking to the minister and then even more about what the church believes by visiting there.  You might try looking at comparativereligion.com as a springboard.  Good luck in your spiritual journey.

Mama2Spencerninja

countrymama0708
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I am LDS - a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and would invite you to visit your local ward/branch and talk to the people there. The Gospel which is unchanging no matter which ward you go to no matter which part of the world youre in has brought me much joy and peace even in hard times. Whatever you choose to do pray about it, about each church you visit and you will be led in the right direction.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I have no advice for you, it's really a personal decision that you and your family will have to make. Follow your heart and your instincts, you'll find where you belong, even if that means not going to a church or going once or twice a week. Can't go wrong when you follow your heart.

Myself, I am something of a mix between Buddhist and Pagan... my son, will make his own decisions when he is older, right now I just teach him morals (he will be 7 in two days, so not too worried about it). DS's father was/is Roman Catholic.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Bump!

Bieg9093
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I vote Methodist.  Lots of acceptance, lots of volunteering opportunities &  lots of sweet, sweet music.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I'm most comfortable in a Presbyterian church.  A Presbyterian church is what I grew up in, my mom taught 4 year old preschool in, I was in the church singing and bell choirs, I was heavily involved in youth groups.  I was so involved in the church though that I stopped wanting to go.  So I did stop.  I "gave up on God" so to speak.  Then I got married and my husband had grown up in the Catholic church.  Talk about a culture shock!   We've been to the Catholic church he grew up in and his grandma, aunt and etc still go to about a handful of times.  I am SO not comfortable there!!!  Not to mention the last time we were there my husband's aunt introduced us to the ?father? <~~I think that's what they are called?!?~~> He asked me where did I go to church growing up?   When I said "A Presbyterian church, I was also baptized Presbyterian." he told me to get out of his church...that I didn't belong there!  Okay, dude...we won't come back!  Needless to say...we haven't been back.

Also, when I was growing up and my Grandma Sarah *my dad's mom* came to visit I would always go to Temple with her.  She was Jewish.  Being in a synagogue is my second most comfortable place religion wise. 

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Perhaps a library.... As they have an entire section devoted to religions of all types? If you was to learn " as much about" different types of religions as possible, you research first ( which we can't do for you) and then you meet with alderman of those religions personally.

Yes, the Internet is so easy to find everything... Shouldn't seriously learning and all types of religion require SOME sort of work on the researchers part ? Especially when the research is so broad?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Beliefnet is a pretty interesting site for learning about different religions.  Also, although it's kind of odd, they have an interesting quiz on their site ("Belief-O-Matic") that claims to be able to match you to the religion that fits you best.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:15 AM

I think the best thing would be to go to several churches and try to find one that makes you feel welcome and gives you a sense of wholeness. I'm an agnostic but I realize all the good churches do for people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)