Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

annoyed

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 10 Replies

we have had our one credit card for over 20 years. We rarely use it, but we have it for the just in case. I think the most we do is use it every 6 months or so to keep it active.

We got a letter yesterday saying that they are putting annual fees on the cards to take effect in April. That the letter is to notify us early so we can either make the decision to cancel the card before fees hit the account or do nothing and keep it as it stands.

Of course i called them up and i said look we have been customers with you for over 20 years, we have a outstanding history with you. (in the 20 years we've never missed a payment, always paid off our balances in a timely manner) in fact our credit is pristine, we have never missed any payment, and we have never overdrafted our checking and have a decent amount of money in our savings. We have an outstanding credit score.

The lady said there was nothing she can do. So i asked to speak to a manager. She siad there was nothing she could do. The best we could do is cancel that card and reapply for one of their cash rewards cards..i asked if we would lose our standing (we were told to always keep that one because its the card we have had the longest) the supervisor said yes because we would be going from an annual fee card to another card that they couldn't convert accounts.

These cash advance cards lowest APR is 12.99! Are they for real? Our card that they slapped a fee on has a APR of only 8.99.

Anyway i told them to cancel the card. that they have lost our business and in these times i think its pretty sad to throw your good  longtime customers under a rock like that.

We don't need that card anyway. And if we run into a issue where we would, i can get a card for a much better interest rate with no annual fee quick.

what a shitty deal. This is with Bank of America. They said they have been gradually converting accounts over to annual fee accounts for the past year..ours was just converted as we are one of the last groups. 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bethatperson
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Bank of America is one of the worst banks out there. They are all about the money. I just had my house foreclosed on with them last year. I tried for over 2 years to get my loan modified first but they kept saying I didn't turn in my paperwork (which I faxed 3 times) and that I didn't qualify. I had a lay off, and a divorce so I qualified twice. They are big scammers. And what is really sad is they are the ones that got the biggest bail out and help from the government to help people from losing their homes. They don't help hardly anyone.

Would you like to work from home? www.livinganne.com

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

That stinks. After all this time you've kept the card.

Citibank agreed to waive my monthly bank fee since I've been with them so long. The new fee is 12.99. It can be waived with a min. balance but I can't maintain that. I'm so glad I asked and they accommodated me or I'd have to leave their bank.

Lovemyshadows
by Carol on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

BoA is crap for a bank.  I refuse to do business woth them.  Won't do business with geico either.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Why no make a decent purchase and transfer the balance to a no annual fee card? Yeah, you wouldn't be there for twenty yrs..... But a cancellation looks bad, too, but a transfer isn't canceling. Just telling you this so you have an option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Think you can get a card with a "much better rate with no annual fee, quick"?  Think again.  The banks DON"T WANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU.  A low interest rate does not make them any money.  People who pay off the balances quickly, don't make them any money.  Cards without annual fees don't make them any money.  Cards that are rarely used don't make them any money.  Are you getting the picture?

squeekers
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

B of A is having troubles in the making money department

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I have their cash rewards card, I charge everything I can and pay the balance every month. I like making them pay me!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

ahh, yes.  Bank of America has been crappy for many years.  They just keep going downhill.  I'm sorry to hear about your card, over 20 years is a long time for them to have kept your business! :)

numberliving
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Well, I did! I'm with discover now. No annual fee and a 5.99 rate.

And I got a limit of 22500 which I promptly lowered to 5000

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Think you can get a card with a "much better rate with no annual fee, quick"?  Think again.  The banks DON"T WANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU.  A low interest rate does not make them any money.  People who pay off the balances quickly, don't make them any money.  Cards without annual fees don't make them any money.  Cards that are rarely used don't make them any money.  Are you getting the picture?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numberliving
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
And they don't want people with puss poor credit who can't pay their bills either.

But yes I found a card quick.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)