Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Nail biting...

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM
  • 10 Replies
My DD (3 years old) has recently started biting her nails. It's getting really bad and she's starting to make them bleed and they are just little nubs now. Anytime I tell her to get her hands out of her mouth she cries and says that I don't like her... Which is furthest from the truth. Has anyone had similar experiences? I need advice on how to get her to stop without her feelings getting hurt.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM
My mother used to cut mine to the quick, there was nothing to chew, then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsElle
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Thank you for that. Unfortunately she's gnawed then down to the quick and past. Her poor little precious fingers look horrid.
Quoting hollydaze1974:

i
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Have you tried the bitter polish? Some kids are smart enough to wash it off :-) but if you pull the " if you- then I " it may help curb it. And she's manipulating you with " you don't like me" girls learn that way early. I'd not let her get away with that statement any more. Kind of " my love for you has nothing to do with me not wanting you to chew your nails. They can bleed and hurt and get infected. I love you so that I can't stand here and allow you to possibly have to take medicine because you chew your nails"

If the bitter polish doesn't work, onto bandaids on every finger, high enough that she chews the bandaid. And no characters either, just blah " flesh colored" bandaids.

That would be my next steps, if it were me.

Quoting MsElle:

Thank you for that. Unfortunately she's gnawed then down to the quick and past. Her poor little precious fingers look horrid.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

i
MsElle
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM
That's fab advice! Thank you so very much. I'm gonna try the bitter polish ASAP
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Good luck! :-) I was an an awful nail biter!

Quoting MsElle:

That's fab advice! Thank you so very much. I'm gonna try the bitter polish ASAP
LoudSiren
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My daughter is 10 and became a nail biter around age 7.  I still haven't figured out a way to get her to stop, even during her physical exam the pediatrician spoke with her regarding germs and nail biting and she seemed affected for about a day or so.  Then she started up again. Sorry no helpful advice here, but if you find a solution LET ME KNOW!

bigmama423
by Liz on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I would try the polish...I'm not really sure what else you can do. Maybe try painting her nails pretty and see if maybe she'd rather not bite them if they're pretty?? Good luck!
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Get the nasty tasting nail biting polish. Put it on if you can while she sleeps.
emilyelephant
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I used to suck my thumb and my mom tried everything.  Once she told me it would turn green if I sucked it too much, then used green foodcoloring to dye it green overnight.  It didn't work on me, I just sucked the green off and it was all over my mouth.  lol but maybe it'd work for you. Like just the tips of her fingers

MsElle
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Thank you ladies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)