Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Very early potty training

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 24 Replies

I started potty training my daughter at about six months of age. She was potty trained by a year old and dry through the night and completely out of diapers by 15 months.  My son was potty trained before his second birthday. I have no regrets. It was super stress free for all of us.Has anyone else done this?  I hear that this is the norm in many other countries, as well.

The cure for anything is saltwater.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Nope

vboatner
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have heard that people in other countries do it. But I have not done it. Both of my children potty trained on their own. Well they let me know when they were ready and we did it. One was PT at 2 and the other was almost 4. But he is autistic though.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I've been to many different countries and have not found ANY that force training on children under 18 months. It sounds like doing 9 months of potty training (in your case) is rather rediculous. Out of my 6 that are potty trained, most were trained by 18 months and it took less than a week to 100% train day and night. Most took only 3 days to be completely out of diapers forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Wow, kudos, marchant. 

I didn't use any kind of "force training", as you suggest.  I was a stay at home mom and my children are 41/2 years apart.  So when they were sitting up on their own, I would sit them down on the little potty stool and read a little story or sing a little song every few hours and make a huge big fuss over them if they made any pee or poo. 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I'm a stay at home mom, my kids are 26, 20, 16, 13, 8 and 4 and 9 weeks. Mine are also 4.5 years apart except the oldest two. And yes putting an infant on a potty and forcing them to sit there would be by force.
It's been proven no child that small understands which is why it took you 9 months to do what most people do in less than a week.

Quoting coronado25:

Wow, kudos, marchant. 

I didn't use any kind of "force training", as you suggest.  I was a stay at home mom and my children are 41/2 years apart.  So when they were sitting up on their own, I would sit them down on the little potty stool and read a little story or sing a little song every few hours and make a huge big fuss over them if they made any pee or poo. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We never even attempted to try training until they would wake up dry.  Until that time, they do not have any control over their bladders. 

coronado25
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Wow. I have never heard of a child being potty trained in one week, marchant. That is super.

My kids enjoyed their potty time, and we had potty time when moods were good, not cranky times. Before she could walk, (she didn't walk til 13 months) my daughter would make her way to the potty chair if left bare butted to pee and poop. She was vocal to me about it and delighted with herself. 

Kodysmommy,  there are plenty of older kids who have perfect control over their bladder during the day, but still wet the bed at night. So, your assumption above must have some degree of human variation.

coronado25
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I will add again, Marchant, I never had to force the children to sit on the potty. 

coronado25
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

My question though was, anyone else have kids that were potty trained by two years old or earlier?

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Nope - but my boys potty trained very easily and were fully night and day trained by 2 1/2.  We did not start until they were not far from 2 1/2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)